Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Ricky Nelson’s ’32 Roadster

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Victory99, Apr 14, 2017.

1. I got the privilege of seeing Ricky Nelson’s famous roadster that he drove in a couple episodes of “The Ozzie and Harriet Show” today. I thought it was super cool, so I took a ton of pictures of it. So, I figured I’d share some of them. Hope y’all dig it. :)

NelsonRoadster3.JPG
    NelsonRoadster1.JPG
    NelsonRoadster4.JPG NelsonRoadster5.JPG NelsonRoadster6.JPG NelsonRoadster2.JPG

2. Thank you for posting the pics. The 3dog Garage is something I want to check out one day. They are amassing a nice collection of Historic Vehicles.

bowie, lothiandon1940 and HEMI32 like this.
  3. cool........

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. Paul

Paul
    Editor

I don't think I've ever seen it in color before.
    It must have made quite an impression at the time.
    I like it, thanks for posting!

lothiandon1940 and kidcampbell71 like this.

5. Glad you guys like it. It was so cool, I was like a kid in a candy store. lol

6. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Great car. I always knew it as the Tony LaMesa roadster (and assumed he built it). Show card says it was built by Ray Di Fillipi.

7. brady1929

brady1929

8. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Thanks - Ricky made some good music with his voice/guitar & his roadster

loudbang, Bowtie Coupe and Victory99 like this.
  9. That car, along with the Grabowski T and the Geraghty & Crawford Grasshopper roadster were at a show I went to at the Arcadia Guard Armory in 1957. I was 12 years old and these 3 cars just blew me away. The thing that really stayed with me was the '40 dash in Tony LaMesa's roadster.

10. Yes he did! Damn shame his stupidity killed him.

11. Ray built it in the early 50s and was featured in the April '52 Hop Up magazine. LaMasa rebuilt it in the late 50s to what is now known as the Ricky Nelson roadster.

Tim, AndersF, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  12. Mac VP

Mac VP

What engine did it have?

13. @Mac VP-
    I never got to see under the hood. I think it's currently a Cadillac engine.

14. wicarnut

wicarnut

Thanks for posting, VERY KOOL !

15. Engine is '58 Corvette engine, article from August 1960 HRM.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. The FAA determined that it was, likely, a faulty heater that cased the crash. No drugs or drug paraphernalia were found in the plane and only trace amounts were found in the bodies. The stories that they were free basing cocaine are internet rumors that are purely speculative. The amount of drugs found in the toxicology precludes any recent freeebasing. No need to drag his name through the mud.

17. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Man that hot rod is really gone!

Bandit Billy likes this.
  18. pumpman

pumpman

Very sweet hot rod, details are over the top. When I was a kid that TV show was one of my favorites.

57Custom300 and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  19. Nobey

Nobey

When Ray owned it, it had a 24 stud flathead, 4 inch stroke 3 3/8 bore, dual coils, Harrell heads,
    Winfield SU-1 full-race cam, and two 97's. Was painted fire engine red.

20. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I agree. That free basing crap was dreamed up by the "reporters" without any real knowledge of the facts. Pure speculation and has tagged him throughout the years after that terrible accident. Why not find out who manufactured the heater and slag them? Meanwhile back at the car, I generally don't like channeled cars but that is one cool little roadster.

21. Just a super cool roadster. HRP

[​IMG]

22. From what I have read the car was never actually owed by Ricky although he wanted it,The Paterfamilias of the Nelson family said Ozzie no! HRP

23. Thank you for setting the record straight on Rick's death. I had never heard the other side. I am a big fan of his music, and am glad to know his death really was accidental.

24. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A sorry day when we lost a good DC-3/C-47.. getting harder to replace...

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
    deucemac likes this.
  25. George Klass

George Klass
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A name from the past. I went to school with Rick Nelson (Bancroft Junior High School), we were in the same grade together. His brother Dave was either one year or two years ahead of us at Bancroft. Rick and I then went to Hollywood High School where I stayed for one year before transferring to and graduating from Fairfax High (Rick graduated from Hollywood High). During the period when I knew him, he was not yet known for singing or song writing, just doing the Ozzie & Harriet Show...

26. I didn't know it had a flathead! Neat.

Nobey likes this.
  27. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Serving the record straight!!
    Rick Nelson died like a HERO!!!

His WWII ex USAAF C-47 was built with magnesium frame work. This flammable metal was used in wartime production. An electrical short, and or possibly the passenger compartment gasoline heater ignited this flammable metal in the wing root. This spread quicly and intensively into the passenger compartment.
    The pilots set the plane down on a rural Texas road and escaped through the cockpit windows.
    Mr. Nelson's body was found shielding the body of his girlfriend from the intense heat and flame.

28. 55chevr

55chevr

29. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Hang on, here we go.........

30. I would like to have seen that roadster in red.
    Growing up - I don't know what we kids thought - all TV cars were either black, gray or white I guess.

Speed Gems and gas pumper like this.