Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Richard Heathfield: The Same Old Story

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Feb 14, 2022.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

Richard Heathfield: The Same Old Story

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It would be nice to know how his life progressed. I’m sure he was haunted by the death of his friend.

3. tbirddragracer

tbirddragracer

Good read.
    Ernie

mad mikey and Stogy like this.
  4. MojoRacing

MojoRacing

I really enjoyed this read! It kind of puts things in perspective of how things were in 48. The big headlines were about a hoodlum and his hotrod wreaking havoc on the streets of Detroit. It just reminds me how simplistic times were compared to today! All that's in the news now is murder scams and complete mayhem.

5. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

This is not reality at all... For instance, this is just one of the front page spreads that included a story about Richard:

news.jpg

Stories about Russian spies, KKK parades, a 17-year old suicidal mother, exposed Nazis living in Detroit, police budgets, a librarian skimming from the top, government misappropriation, etc...

Times only look simple in the rearview mirror... which is one of points of this story.

6. williebill

williebill

Nice work, Ryan. Sounds like Richard was just like a lot of us. Until the local big shots decided it was personal, when all he wanted was to raise a little hell, drive hot rods, and be left alone.

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  7. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I read it more as a story full of mistakes and wrongdoings. No heroes. All bad guys. Chaos that somehow finds a way...

37slantback, Sancho, 63fdsnr and 6 others like this.
  8. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

sometimes people dream about living in an earlier time period. but, as you say, "Times only look simple in the rearview mirror"

Nailhead A-V8, mad mikey and Stogy like this.
  9. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Another big part of the puzzle... If you go by newspaper reports alone from 1945 to 1951 or so, hot rodders in general were absolutely seen as a menace to society.

You drive a car without fenders? You are a scumbag.

You drive a car with modified exhaust? You are looking for trouble.

You painted your car red?? Oh man, stay the hell away from my daughter.

Hot rods were in the headlines far more often during this period. Seems like almost every edition from California had some sort of criminal article featuring hot rods in it... and even in other states, it was incredibly popular to sensationalize what young kids were doing with fast cars.

Then, around 1950 or 1951 or so, you started to see the rewards of Wally Parks' (and others) work. Quite literally, you started to see little articles leak into the papers about building race tracks to curb the menace, etc... almost all of them quote Wally or one of his followers.

Starting around 1956 or so, as hot rods began to gain more acceptance, the complaints about youth culture switch from fast cars to Rock & Roll. And by 1960 or so, the use of hot rods as subject in papers drops dramatically - almost 90% nationwide.

The research work I've been helping with deals with this in great deal... And it's actually pretty interesting to see as raw statistical numbers.

Sancho, 63fdsnr, Lepus and 13 others like this.
  10. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Times were only better because those memories have the most input. If you were a victim or perp of course you'll remember the bad, but not so with other stuff. @Ryan , not bad for hapless writing. And in my hometown area no less. We raced Outer Dr too but decades later. No drunks or hop heads in our crews, cars cost too much. Can't afford too many vices...;)

chryslerfan55, mad mikey and Stogy like this.
  11. Fordors

Fordors

Rather then try to help a troubled young man who’s life was shattered when his father died he was charged and prosecuted endlessly. And as if that wasn’t enough the police fired upon his car killing a child, all because a guy sped away in a hot rod.
    The unnecessary response of the police was never addressed but as was typical for the time they made Richard pay for his youthful indiscretion by placing him in the psych ward.
    Truly sad, but I hope he did find some peace in his later life.

longhorizon, 6inarow, Carter and 5 others like this.
  12. impala4speed

impala4speed

Good story Ryan. All I could think about was young James Olsen. 14 year old automotive whizz kid. Just think what he might've done with his life. Imagine how his parents must've felt.

13. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

That's a very real part of the story, right? I mean.... you gotta guy that is fighting for our freedom during WII, dies, and leaves a family back in Detroit. This crushes his son and starts a path of absolute destruction for many years.

But there's another side to that story too. Who's the cop that pulled the trigger? How has he lived with the guilt? Was he just a bad guy? Or, was he just a poorly trained cop put in a position he didn't know how to handle?

And it seems as though the only thing that stopped this path of destruction was a judge that you could argue unconstitutionally locked up a kid by labeling him as a psychopath. Did he do this for the right or wrong reasons?

There are no heroes. It's all just a big ole mess with no right or wrong side... It's complicated. It's not simple. It's not black and it's not white.

We have plenty of stories like this today... But in 1948, one of the major menaces to society was the HOT ROD... and so this is the part that is sensationalized in the media and in the public. And, to me, it's really interesting to see these issues from that perspective... cuz, well... I'm a hot rodder before I am anything else.

Absolutely. If you read one of the news stories that I posted, James' father is quoted quite a bit.

14. 31Apickup

31Apickup

He was probably sent to Eloise the psychiatric hospital or DEHOCO Detroit house of corrections. Both well known Detroit area institutions at the time.

Stogy likes this.
  15. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Truth, is stranger than fiction!
    Raymond Chandler, Dashiell Hammet, Elmore Leonard, as good as they were as writers, couldn't come up with a story as riveting as the plight of Richard Heathfield.
    Good story and good research @Ryan

16. Thanks Ryan! I enjoy reading all of your blogs. Times then or now weren't simple. My dad used to say "the good ole days are right now". Then he would smile and say "we a have toilet paper".

17. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

yep.

Stogy likes this.
  18. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am a 70s hoodlum and I had my moments with the Highway Traffic Act and got nailed a few times...

I'm sure Richard felt like I did in front of the judge and police...

We got caught and expected to have the book thrown at us...and they did...

I had minor infractions, no death or guns blazing thankfully...but as you say @Ryan, despite the hardships one encounters one makes the choice to put the pedal to the metal knowing there may be repercussions...

It's very easy to lose a license, your ride and have insurance rates through the roof so...the days of Mr. Policeman taking the keys and telling you to go home and pick the car and keys up the next day are history...

Richard's ass was way more hurting than mine but regardless I have much pacified my more youthful antics on the road but still enjoy the raw power and ambience of driving an inspired vintage Hotrod...

Quite the research...I'm glad Richard was able to settle down enough to live out a full life and I hope he had a Hotrod here and there to get out and Chill a bit...it's good therapy...

Last edited: Feb 14, 2022
  19. 31Apickup

31Apickup

Many people finally settle down after either going to jail for short stint, or get married and realize they now have priorities, although some end up in that game their whole life. DEHOCO was on 5 mile road in Plymouth two, about 5 miles from where I last lived in Michigan. They had one cool old masonry building that had 1931 on it, it was still an active facility then. I see it has all been torn down now.

20. shivasdad

shivasdad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Very enjoyable reading. It would be nice to fill in the gaps, but I understand how hard it is to do research on an otherwise "normal" life. My wife has done genealogy for decades, and in her retirement it has become almost full time. She fills out stories better than any I know, but there are always gaps that are just gone. Thanks for a glimpse into the real world of post WWII middle America.

21. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

"Heathfield was given the psychopath designation by TRAFFIC Judge John. D Watts"

Blows my mind that a traffic judge was allowed to make such a "diagnosis"... Thats a heavy story.

22. Great story! The relationship between hot rodders and the police took years to change, and I guess we changed a bit too as we grew older. Even in the sixties we were an easy target for the police, with no reason needed to stop us so they could find a reason to write us up. I left rodding to raise my family, but was surprised in the early to mid nineties to find the rodders were now OK with the police, even cars without fenders or quiet exhaust.

23. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

From what I understand, Watts did give the designation... but only after a hearing with a district judge... All that after a "psychological exam" proved to be "inconclusive."

I did find some stuff that was written after his admittance to the ward (that I don't feel comfortable publishing) that essentially said - Yeah, Richard has some psychological issues, but no more so than any other that kid that lost his dad.

24. I mostly agree. Perhaps not " all bad guys" just misguided on all levels.
    Thank you for caring and writing.

Ben

25. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

This is an interesting topic as well... See, I believe hot rodding has an age limit... and once you reach that age limit, you can still hot rod... but at that point, you are just pretending.

Why? Because to my definition, hot rodding is 100% rebellious punk rock shit... and most people, as they age, lose the stomach for that sort of thing.

Think about it... In 1947, most hot rodders were pretty radical fellas that had no concept of being risk adverse. They took cheap shit and used innovation and labor to create machines capable of doing more than the sums of their parts - laws and ordinances be damned.

It was the Wild West and these guys were running for their "lives"...

These days, most "hot rodders" enjoy going to a fairground somewhere, unfolding their lawn chairs, and telling stories about the days they USED to throw caution to the wind. I mean, no one is chasing them... Why run?

There's a lowrider club in East LA called The Groupe. Those guys aren't crooks and don't break laws of real consequence, but they are still running. I think something along those lines is the closest thing we still have to actual hot rodding as it was born in the 1940's... Better or worse...

Editor's note: I was born in 1976. I know nothing about what I write. This is just the shit that goes on in my head... curiosity of sorts..

Sancho, 63fdsnr, 41 GMC K-18 and 5 others like this.
  26. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You are so right, those that have perhaps a more compassionate outlook of things many times are in no position to influence what would have been a more just outcome for this man...

That said the pro law stance at the time could have been a rock wall of fist with applicable punishment against said Hoodlums...

27. Budget36

Budget36

Interesting “firing shots “ into a vehicle to warn the driver?

28. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Spike belts be damned...probably didn't have them...

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  29. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan's Quote...."Editor's note: I was born in 1976. I know nothing about what I write. This is just the shit that goes on in my head... curiosity of sorts.."

Most people romanticize about the past.
    Most fellas who came back from World War II got married right away and started having kids.
    The ones that didn't - they had seen the worse in life of war / death and at that point Hot Rodding a jalopy was freedom.
    Raising some hell was fun because they've been through hell and Hot Rodding was now on their terms of Raising Hell and being alive. Sometimes it feels good to be bad.

30. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

May dad used to tell me that I had SPITE in my DNA. But I think he had it wrong... I just didn't mind all that much when I got in trouble so long as it was profitable from a fun standpoint.