Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Rewiring the headlamp and fog lamp harness for my 51 Pontiac

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by old1946truck, Apr 13, 2017.

1. old1946truck

old1946truck

I need to rewire the headlamp harness and fog lamp harness for my 51 Pontiac. I was thinking about using cloth covered wires since the vehicle is still 6volt. What size wire was used for the headlamps for these cars. I also need to rewire the generator and distributor. I really don't want to have a fire.

2. squirrel

squirrel

#14 should be safe. They probably used a bit thinner wire originally....???? If you have the old stuff, see how it fits in one of those crimp tools that is marked for size

3. old1946truck

old1946truck

4. squirrel

squirrel

It should work. Get a couple different colors, maybe? looks rather expensive...

5. The37Kid

The37Kid

Has anyone tested wire to see how safe it is? How good is the off shore stuff, how can you tell were wire is made? How much ------------ will #14 wire take before it melts the insulation? Bob

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
  6. Hot Rod Grampa

Hot Rod Grampa

There are wiring diagrams out there that will tell you what size wire to run. Head lights and fog lights can draw high amps. Small wires will work for a while then get hot then ? Guessing is not a good strategy.

7. squirrel

squirrel

Yeah, guessing is bad. But knowing that the 6v headlights draw 8 amps each on high beam, and that a #14 wire is fine with 16 amps current, maybe it will work all right?

8. Hot Rod Grampa

Hot Rod Grampa

It might as long as everything else can handle that amperage. Not knowing what else is on that circuit(key not on)or what size wire is feeding it. Going by original design should avoid issues. My only point.

9. Joe H

Joe H

I have some of that same yellow braided wire I use for old gas engines, mine has steel core wire. Works OK, but you can't hardly solder a connector on it. I like to solder then shrink wrap the ends, looks much better then crimp on ends.