Register now to get rid of these ads!

rewiring a 64 galaxie 500 - complete harness or separate looms from

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by neverwinter, Dec 6, 2012.

1. neverwinter

neverwinter

hi all,

now that a lot of the mechanic stuff has been taken care of on my 64 i want to focus on redoing the wiring. it's a nasty rat's nest, none of the dash lights work, i have no turn signals, the headlights are dim, the horn barely squeaks, and there are a billion wires that lead to nowhere or are not connected to anything. i have a small draw so had to install a battery kill switch.

the PO used all blue wires(why??) for everything so there is no easy way to just redo his stuff, plus the junction boxes at the firewall are jimmy-rigged which i think is leading to less than 12v getting to the lights and the horn.

so i am wondering if it maes sense to get a complete kit from say Pianless or Automotive Wiring and redo everything. or go to dearborn classics or dennis carpenter and get there stock looms that would cover 75% of what i need. i'd still have to wire in the signals, it wouldnt replace the fuse box, and i think id still have extra wiring to do.

any opinions?

2. Willy301

Willy301

Get a full painless wiring harness and make it easy on yourself. EZ wiring makes it too, and sometimes a little cheaper than painless. I did it in my Falcon and will never scratch wire a car again!

3. The37Kid

The37Kid

Nobody on the HAMB knows less about wiring than I do, but your first step is to remove EVERY wire and sell the pile for scrap, then oder and install new stuff. Bob

4. 432bullet

432bullet

If you are going to run modern electrical you should go with the after mkt wiring. The 64 wiring will never pull the amp loads for Fans, ignition, headlights, That you will want to use. I would also go with at least a 100 amp alt.

5. indyjps

indyjps

Check ou rebel wire - HAMB sponsor. Or american autowire restomod kit if its offered for a galaxy. New wiring plugs switches are worth the $

6. brad chevy

brad chevy

Go with the complete redo wiring harnass, you wouldn't put a bandaid on when you need stitches would you ?

7. neverwinter

neverwinter

great thanks all! i appreciate it. think i am going with rebel wire if the 8 circuit one is enough for the 64. i appreciate all the advice. man that is gonna suck to make yet another running car inoperable again!

8. subieseven

subieseven
    from New York

second on American Auto wire unless it's an OE restoration. Can you post pictures of the existing spaghetti- it sounds quite the mess :)

9. jcapps

jcapps
    from SoCal

10. kennkat

kennkat

I have installed "Ron Francis", "Painless", "YnZs Yesterdays Parts" and "E-Z Wire" wiring harnesses. The "YnZs" are for restorations. On a Hot Rod I feel the "E-Z Wire" harness is the best value... A decent understanding of automotive electrical systems is a necessary ingredient as well...:):):)
    that's just my opinion... :D:D:D

11. rocknrolldaddy

rocknrolldaddy

I used E-Z wire with great results. It was easy. It's inexpensive. I even converted to 12v from 6v positive ground at the same time. I did it myself over the weekend. The one pointer I can give you is make sure everything is well grounded. I had my dremel with a grinding wheel on it come in handy. The only light that failed was the one with the existing ground screw. I took it off, cleaned the area, problem solved. Good luck, man. Art.

12. dt50chev

dt50chev

Most of the aftermarket harnesses will require a little wiring of terminals at the ends of the wires at each switch and component. An 8 circuit kit will work for you if you don't have power windows, a/c , and a bunch of other accessories. If you plan to add them later, get a larger kit like a 9+3 so that it is easier to add these items. Better to spend the extra $20 now than to wish you had later.