Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Reviving the 'Inspired by Ed Roth, Plowboy and Racerdad', '61 Cutlass build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Steelsmith, Jan 6, 2015.

1. Steelsmith

Steelsmith

I poked at that old thread a few days ago, to see if anyone cared. In the process, I reread the entire 15+ pages and fell in love with the project all over again! It broke my heart to have something like that go unfinished, when it had so much potential!
    However, I now live on the Southern Gulf Coast of Texas and what's left of the Cutlass is still in Idaho. Besides that, I no longer have a metal-shaper's shop and I can't see that in my future.

I've decided to enlist my buddy Al, 'keeper of the Cutlass' and see if we can recreate that design long-distance and this time in fiberglass! The remains of the Cutlass are still intact or at least as much as they were last time I saw it (2012).
    Being in Idaho, I can't take my own measurements or take profiles of the shape involved but, Al can, and is willing to aid me in this latest bit of crazyness.

First off, this will take a while to get done, (it's winter in Idaho) and I will be making this first mock-up as a 1/3 scale version. That scale may change as I do some investigating into scale modeling and find out what is available, wheel/tire wise so the end product is close to being accurate.
    Why am I doing a scale model at all? Depending on how well it turns out, I'd be willing to entertain the possibility of building a full-sized body. To do that, I'd either need to work off of the original Cutlass body or make a scale body to take profiles off of, I can always scale up to full-sized from the model. Can't do that if I don't have anything to work off of.

If you have thought about how one would go about doing this kind of build, join in! I'll tell you what I know and take you with me as we proceed down the rabbit hole!

Dan Stevens

2. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Wouldn't it be quicker to just go get the car?

3. Steelsmith

Steelsmith

Sure it would but, there would have to be a place to put a full sized car!

Since having our lives implode due to the drastic change in the economy, my wife and I live in a 33' motorhome in an RV resort. I don't have a garage so anything I take on needs to be downsized too. At least I can dream about the Cutlass as a finished design, even if it never makes it to full sized.