Register now to get rid of these ads!

Reviving an 80's "STREET ROD" barn,shed,garage find!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rusty Junk Ranch, May 30, 2011.

1. Scarebird

Scarebird
    Alliance Vendor
    from ABQ, USA

Clean it up and enjoy the summer.

2. Very cool. I was expecting yellow plug wires though.

3. Groovybaby6

Groovybaby6
    from Denver

Lose everything billet on the car!

4. Great find......but strip it of everything 80's.

5. Wilf13

Wilf13
    1. Dutch Hambers

That could be worse: Late eighties, begin nineties pastel blue with pastel pink water droplet paint job and everything chrome painted body color for instance :)

Great find!

6. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

Cool find!! Earl must be a picky old Fart, I'd love to see his collection.

7. steve14733

steve14733

sorry about your friends passing, nice car good luck with it very nice project.

8. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

You must be joking!:rolleyes: COol find!

9. brady1929

brady1929

I love 36 fords, I am jealous. Nice hot rod

10. I actually have a flatter Cal Custom wood wheel that I plan on running in my project. Lots of rubbing and a little work around the rivet holes does away with the hand problem. Or lots of calluses also works well.

They were a geni uine '60s article, I have always had an affection for wood wheels.

Its not my car but I wouldn't ket the wires or the interior keep me off the road for the loud season. There is always those long winter nights to make it your own.

11. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Rocky you are too tied up with the LSR car so if you want just give me this one until you need it back. I have lots to do but I will clean it up for you and put a few miles on to make sure all is well.

Least I can do. Nice find.

12. fts55

fts55
    from guthrie ok

I agree, wash it, buff it, give it some new shoes and brakes and hit the road.

13. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I can understand many of the modifications that were suggested, but.......if this car was stored for another 30 years and then found, most folks would leave it "as is" because it is a snapshoot from an era, whether we like the style or not. Once it is modified from the point it is now you can't go back. Not my car though and I am sure the owner will do it justice, yeah I am a little jealous, remember one of these being sold in my area back in the early 80's, I think it was about the same color too.

14. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Wouldn't it be neat if every owner of an old car like that would keep a written record of its evolution and ownership in the glove box. It would serve as a "running history" of the car.

15. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

That's a BEAUTIFUL find. I'd have to drive the crap out of it, 80s style and all....rock some Van Halen (Roth, not Hagar) XD

I wish mine had been in that good of a condition. It was last "redone" (prior to me) in the 80s/90s....with the TIME HONORED techniques of riveting galvanized steel to patch holes, 1"-2" thick bondo, caulk to seal the riveted "floor boards" and Good Stuff foam used as backing, carved to PERFECTION *sarc* then covered in bondo. Too bad yours isn't as good as mine....your loss ;) lol!!!

Again...AWESOME car...congrats!

16. PLEASE wash that car and post the pictures. The suspense is killing me.

17. MalibuKasey

MalibuKasey

Man thats awesome!!! Id drive the hell out of that thing!!

18. sgnova72

sgnova72

Great find. Wash, vacuum, check brakes and rubber component then drive.

19. Man... I'm dying to redo a street rod.

I could live with the wheels for awhile as long as the rubber was the right size.

I'll be following this one close. Congrats!

20. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I like it for the obvious reasons. Great start and not far off the mark!

21. You would be surprised at where they can get in. I've got a big motor in my basement that had a mouse nest in one of the pistons. I guess the valley pan was loose or something.

22. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Way nice find!
    Especially since it belonged to your friend...Good for you.
    Fix it the way you want it...but I do agree on different wheels, and leave the paint!
    Good luck,
    Cheers........

23. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Nice find....
    So now were in "the age" of barn find '80's builds eh???? haha

24. cmon wasn't hagar the front man for VH in the 80's? and nuthin wrong with van hagar! and sammy did "I can't drive 55" :D

ditto here, a good wash, and some turtle wax rubbing compound followed with liquid glass precleaner then liquid glass and that thing would shine!

so are ya gonna change the wheels? i think they look okay, i would drive it that way. and if that's your definition of rough, you would probably throw up if ya saw some of the cars I've got lol

25. hell he'd throw up if he saw some of the cars I drive:D

The wires are not bad actually. I am not a big wire wheel fan but that doesn't make them bad at all.

Oh that sammy Hagar album was a good album as I recall.

26. Igosplut

Igosplut

Absolutely no van hagar, wouldn't want a guy to get carsick after all.

I agree with the others, clean it, do whatever's keeping it from running/driving, and DRIVE it. I think you'll have a better perspective of where you want to go from there, and think of the people that remember the car seeing it for the first time in all those years....

Good thing the mice ate those dice, that's the best use for them......

27. that's pretty tasteful for an 80's street rod!! looks pretty close to a "traditional" mild custom already.

28. Wilf13

Wilf13
    1. Dutch Hambers

Sure would! And probably all of us do that now. Digital cameras have made this so much easier. :)

If only that car could speak and tell its life story, wouldn't that be something. It survived so many years.

29. ^this, for sure.

Great find, cool that it was your friends, that's priceless. Enjoy!

30. Xtrom

Xtrom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Forman, ND