Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical REVISITED: Shoebox hood hinges - GRRRR

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by '49 Ford Coupe, Feb 21, 2016.

1. Kiwi Tinbender

Kiwi Tinbender

Nicely documented. Glad this has worked out. Now I can do my customers. You need commission on this deal??:D:D

'49 Ford Coupe likes this.
  2. manyolcars

manyolcars

I read all the posts carefully to see if there was any information on the prop rod. My car is a 50 and it seems that the hood will not open enough for the prop rod to go in the right hole. Anybody else have this problem? My rod is the right length and my hood bolts are new. I have a 50 hood and 50 hinges

3. Well, Mr. Kiwi, I certainly appreciate your post! Not many respond so positively. I AM on PayPal, and I think I'd GLADLY accept contributions in exchange for my contributions to the community to "work around weird problems".

THANKS!

4. I have no problem with the hood opening far enough for the prop rod to go in place. The only thing that comes to mind is that your new bolts may be binding on the brackets (thick coat of paint?) As a matter of fact, I sanded off the paint where the shoulder bolts and the brackets are in contact with the hood hinge bracket, as I noticed some binding when I first mounted it. By the way you may notice that your bolts have holes through the head and they should be safety wired to each other so they stay in place. As a matter of fact, with them wired together, they actually don't have to be very tight with them wired.

5. Hay,, good feeling to get that issue put behind ya isn't it? Well done. Who would have thought a Hood could be such a Blister.
    The Wizzard

6. Hey Wizz have ya seen my site lately. Check out the painting gallery

7. Had not seen all that. I'm not much of a computer Guy so I tend not to bounce around sight to sight. Job well done my Friend. My 51 was done much the way. All in my home shop, but then I did this for a living also. Retired now so all the good stuff is for myself. My 51 has a lot going on that isn't stock but I tried to keep it simple. Like you I want H.P. and have that with a S.B.C. also and 700-R. I also have a GM clip but have done enough of the Vett and Jag for others so I didn't go there. I wanted more of a driveway built 1955 feel so is why all my up grades are handled with Stock knobs and switches and steering wheel. Without the hood up about the only give away are the speakers on the floor much like yours.
    [​IMG]
    Well, there's also that sound. For sure not a flat motor. Been 12 years since my first drive and it still puts a Large smile on my face. Hope 12 years from now you can say the same thing.
    Best of luck to ya,, The Wizzard

Attached Files:

8. Hey, Manyolcars....
    I just remembered that when I got my '51 hinges they were rather rusty, and the hinge pins that look like huge rivets were real tight. I squirted some silicone lubricant in there and "jacked" a few hundred times, squrting more lube to rinse the gunk that was coming out until both arms on each hinge rotated freely through the entire stroke. Ya might be binding there....

9. Just thought I'd post an update on the hood hinge retrofit (installing '50/'51 hinges on a '49 hood). Well, boys and girls, it has worked out PERFECTLY! So if you are interested here's a little video... turn up your speakers and I hope you have a woofer... there is still a little bit of "tape grunge" around the edges of the hood... but it cleans off easily.
    https://49fordcoupe.smugmug.com/Painting-the-Car/i-qdcWbTv/A

10. This is strange. About 2 hours ago I posted the above response, at 6:12, and as of 9:00 pm, the update still does not show up on the "cover page"... am I missing something?