Register now to get rid of these ads!

Review of the MA5 cap to replace Mallory 2 piece 4001

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tjet, Nov 26, 2009.

1. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

This is a review of the Napa Echlin MA5 cap that replaces the Mallory 2-piece cap # 4001 that goes on the YC & ZC distributor. I’m writing this to give you some insight on this replacement cap, & to help you save some money.

[​IMG]
    I ordered the MA5 cap <ST1:p</ST1:plast week because I wasn’t willing to spend the money to find a used cap online. Hot rodding is NOT about spending $200 on a expendable Mallory NOS distributor cap!

The first thing I noticed was how heavy it felt, similar to the Mallory. I was initially thinking it would be a small version of the regular Delco window cap (thin & cheap), but it’s not. It’s more like they used the 4004 lower half in the mold, & custom made the top for a 1-piece unit. The quality is excellent. The thickness & finish feel about the same as the original Mallory. It also has the same outside dimensions.

[​IMG]
    <O:p</O:p
    [​IMG]
    On the inside, the MA5 has some differences over the 4001. First of all, it has 2 ribs that surround the center button instead of one. This gives more surface area in the cap to lessen a short on the inside surface. This may be an advantage if you plan on running a high power ignition system.

<O:p</O:pAnother advantage is the option to use better wires. Even though Pertronix makes a nice black 7mm wire, I can now step up to the Taylor 8.2 Thundervolt wires.

<O:p</O:pOverall, for the $16 I spent on this cap, I am very happy with it. It’s still a small cap which will clear my intake & firewall, & it looks good. Since I plan on driving my vehicle a lot, I will save my NOS 4001 cap & 7mm wires for the shows.

The rotor replacement is p/n MA-7

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

more pics below

http://59chevypickup.webs.com/apps/photos/album?albumid=7596653

Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
    Ric Dean likes this.
  2. Bill Schickling

Bill Schickling

Wow! Do they make an equivilent cap for us 6 cylinder guys?

Attached Files:

3. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

They might, but I don't have the p/n. BTW, the p/n for the YC rotor is MA7. I haven't ordered one of those yet.

4. Dirty2

Dirty2

Good info . Thanks !

5. Bill Schickling

Bill Schickling

I went poking around on the Napaonline store and found this for the six cylinder.

Part number: MA10

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 26, 2009
  6. buickvalvenut

buickvalvenut
    from Rialto

do they also have a replacement rotor to go with this cap?

7. titus

titus

Hows about a 4cylinder cap? im gonna dig in my books to see what i can find.

8. 28 jalopy

28 jalopy
    from arizona

X2 on if they have A replacement rotor! and if it would fit a original 2 piece cap.

9. titus

titus

i went thru my borg warner catolog and looked, i found the 8 and 6 cylinder caps but no 4 cylinder.

10. You could probably use the 8 cyl cap on a four and just plug the unused posts... ugly, but effective.

11. gasserjohn

gasserjohn

i bought a nos mallory 2pc cap complete dist ....the guy also sent me some stuff he had.......including a brown 2pc mallory cap 8cly that inside the cap on ever other cly there was a grd strap running to where it would contact the dist housing when installed >was this factory or???the 4 unused positions on cap where undrilled makes me think from factory or special order................

12. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

For years most banger people have used the more findable 8 cylinder inner under an ancient 4 cylinder outer cap. You can still go with the 8, but now it will look like hell...

13. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

14. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Well, he even says in the item description that they are made by Echlin. If you read that and still pay him $100 without checking it out at your nearest NAPA store first, you deserve to be fleeced.

15. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

BTW, I also have an old brown bakelite Mallory cap - p/n 24001

Does this cap use a different rotor from the 4001 black cap?

16. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

I just buy $20 distributers and rob the cap offa them, the original mallory caps are near indistructable and probably will outlast your motor anyway.....

17. flathead4d

flathead4d

What's the difference between the 4001 and the 24001 cap?

18. titus

titus

The contact points are different from each other and take a different rotor, Alchemy did a post about it a while back.

19. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

The classic 4004 cap is the only reason that I run the old Mallory dist.:D

My mistake the old cap is a 4004.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  20. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

21. oj

oj

Is the replacement gasketed like the original?
    I wonder if it can be used on the super-mag or if the voltage will just blow thru it?

22. alchemy

alchemy

23. gasserjohn

gasserjohn

thought i had photos but only found these poor scans of the actual cap
    cap is only drilled for four of the eight ....if you look close at scan inside cap you can makeout the grd straps that connect every other segment of cap to grdout on the dist housing when cap is installed on dist////on thinking about this it would have worked better to just remove every other lobe on the dist cam don't you think so too???

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
  24. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I never throw away an old Mallory 2 piece cap. I keep some very worn out glass bead powder around to bead blast the terminals to get rid of the corrosion. I dust the cap pieces with some clear from a spray bomb just enough to restore the natural color. They come out looking like new. The caps are pretty beefy when compared to a GM window points cap. I've never had one crack so if you get rid of the corrosion and restore it cosmetically it will be fine IMHO. If you have an old unsightly cap give it a try.

[​IMG]

It broke my heart to have to sacrifice this cap so that the ignition could be phased but you do what you got to do.:D

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  25. The MA5 is on back order from the factory with no idea when they will make new ones so that is a big bummer hopefully they actually make some soon

26. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

I checked today, my Napa guys said No Bueno for now, but can order the ma7 rotor.