Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Reversing and welding a flange to a gemmer 1 box?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Eddiesixem, Jul 6, 2020.

1. Eddiesixem

Eddiesixem

I have a gemmer 1 steering box laying around off of a 35 ford. I been lplaying with it considering using it on my hotrod, but want to do traditional steering, ( this was originally a cross steer box) so i messed around and was able to reverse it pretty easily by making a plate for the old column side. My question is, can an f1 style flange be welded to the sector shaft housing? Not for sure if im going to use it, but am kind of having fun messing with it. I also found out an f-1 pitman arm fits it perfectly. Any incite on this? I know its not the best box, but like i said, messing with it has sparked my interest. IMG_0979.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

2. Koz

Koz

I can't believe nobody replied to this post! I routinely alter Gemmer boxes with alternate mounting plates. These boxes weld very nicely and work well in all types of steering setups. I usually remove the existing mounting plate, clean up the flange and simply Mig or Tig an alternate plate, usually 3/8" stock where I need it. If you weld carefully you will not need to replace the brass bushing on the output shaft. After it is welded, wrap the box in a weld blanket to slow cooling and let it slowly cool to avoid stress cracks.

I've done dozens like this with no failures, however, I am a very good welder and I trust my welds and fabrication ability. If this is your first you may want to have the box checked for cracks before using it. I'm comfortable with this mod. I looked around but can't find any pics of a modified one. I will say, when they are done I hit them with a needle scarifier and it is hard to tell they were messed with.

If you have any questions call me in the shop during the week. 570-789-1665

Eddiesixem likes this.
  3. panheadguy

panheadguy
    from S.E. WI

Yes no problems with all the flange mods. Internals same as F1 box as well

Eddiesixem likes this.
  4. alchemy

alchemy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't think the internals are the same as F-1. I think that started with the '38 or so boxes. But you can switch the pitmans from '32-48 boxes, and the F-1's up to '52.

Eddiesixem likes this.
    Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. Eddiesixem

Eddiesixem

This is exactly the info i was looking for. Thanks! I am pretty secure with my welding and fabrication abilities also. I have built multiple other cars some with heavy fabrication. I was pretty sure it could be done but had yet to do one. I know this is pretty common with the F-1 boxes, but i had this one so...why not? I may give it a shot. If i have questions I may give you a call. Thanks again

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Koz likes this.