Register now to get rid of these ads!

Reversed Corvair steering box, what column?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by suede55bowtie, Sep 7, 2009.

1. I ran into a snag with building my little roadster, and found out I cannot run my F100 steering box and column due to absolutely NO space with stock frame rails and Y-Block. Did some head scratching and came to the conclusion that I need a reversed corvair box. The problem I have now is, what column to run with it? Im still learning about these boxes (and building hot rods in general) and need help.

Can anyone post pictures or information about what theyre running in their hot rods? Are any companies making a column that goes well with this box? Need help!

Thanks guys...

2. Splinter

Splinter

Speedway sells one that will work, but I'd contact Limeworks in Whittier. Theirs is the shiznit, looks great, and can be shortened fairly easily if you're retarded like me and get the wrong size column. Plus, it mates up nicely to their 40 Ford wheel. Just my $.02.

3. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

You can make your own column very easily, I used some stainless tube for the outside and 3/4" x 1/8" wall tube for the inner, a couple of bearings and a 5/8 - 36 spline uj to connect it to the box.

4. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

Speedway column with quick release wheel in my '31

Kevin
    Ooltewah Speed Shop

Attached Files:

5. hvychvy

hvychvy

I'm also using the speedway column.

6. american opel

american opel
    from ohio

its pretty easy to make your own.i think they sell the coupling for the splines{cant remember where i got mine}then just take some thickwall dom tubing and make it whatever lenght you want.you can go to your local circletrack supplyer and buy some hymes that are the same size od.and slide it or them over the tubing figure a mounting point and away you go.if you do make it yourself i would make sure that everything is tig welded though.{stronger with less fatigue next to weld}

7. J Man

J Man
    from Angola, IN

As long as it is the correct length just about any column will work, you will just need to put a joint in where you connect them. If you want aftermarket you will get the quality from Limeworks, I am sure speedways is cheap and Chinese quality.

8. 1 more for Limeworks

9. Badass thanks guys

10. butch27

butch27

Hey do what I did(something weird). I used the Corvair column and the self canceling turn signals- FREE. Crazy huh?

11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Corvair to get the column might be a bit hard to find these days.

I'd vote for the Limeworks unit. By sending them the measurements you need the column to be they can build it to fit the car and you won't have to deal with a wheel that is a bit too high or a bit too low. It's best to get the exact wheel you want to run and dummy a column up so you know just what you want though.
    I've got a column out of a 70 Chev C-10 that had a four speed in it that is about as clean as you would want but I'd bet that it would be too tall for most rods without cutting it down and that would take a machinist as it has the solid shaft in it.

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

12. limeworks for sure i got mine in and it looks awesome!!

13. Anything you want, assuming the 'vair box has a short shaft that originally would have had a rag joint on it. Not hard to find mid-60s GM non-tilt columns that look pretty clean, I just sold a '64 Pontiac floor shift car column to a guy on here for $50.