Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Reverse Flow Flathead V8

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blues4U, Feb 27, 2019.

1. I used to think it was cool when I was a little kid then when I got older I learned that they really didn't run much better breathing through the exhaust ports. The Ol' Man told me that it made it easier to run stack injection or multiple carbs, or in certain applications like race boats or some rear engine cars it was a better setup logistically.

But it does look cool. ;)

Blues4U likes this.
  2. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Yes, something like that, but it's been several decades and I have no pictures of it, so my memory is hazy. I really didn't know much about what I was looking at, at the time, but I know I recognized that it was set up backwards, with the intake going in at the sides of the block and the exhaust coming out at the top, and that's what started the conversation about it to begin with, then the guys telling us about it said that it did just that, that it drew thru the old exhaust ports and exhausted through the intake ports.

But I can't recall if the carbs were mounted down low, or if it used carbs mounted on top that flowed through a manifold down to the sides of the block. It did not have a roots blower sitting on top, because that's where the exhaust pipes were.

3. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

Exactly. Neither did the Smith Jiggler where the exhaust went overhead in air cooled heads for a little improvement at a lot of cost.

Henry’s flathead exhaust was in effect a fire tube boiler, running intake reversed through it is an impediment to breathing.

Cadillac got it right.

4. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

5. In 1991, or 1992, my sons and I went to the nostalgia drags at Sacramento Drag-strip. John Bradley, who at the time had the worlds fastest flathead. was running a set-up like that..

6. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

If you look at the picture (post #8)you can see that it is John Bradley's car. In around 58 or 59 I went to Half Moon Bay drags to see the Gene's Brake Spl. John Bradley and his "Worlds Fastest Flathead" He won Top Eliminator running in the 9s at 150 or so. In the 80s I was in line at El Mirage and noticed the lakester behind me Flathead powered. It was John. I told him I saw him at HMB and we talked for a while. Nice guy.

7. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

This is what Jimmy Stevens does to flatheads these days. More effective 52979921_2123601184372363_5622706759966654464_o.jpg than swapping ports

Blues4U, flyin-t and Oldioron like this.
  8. Commodoreswab

Commodoreswab
    from West TN

Ok so it may have started out as a flathead and while not running in reverse the intake and exhaust are on both sides.
    O 4484~5_L_15e7dd89.jpg k

Attached Files:

GuyW and patmanta like this.
  9. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

Nicely "tarted-up" Staggervalve Fronty" you've got pics of there, Commodoreswab!! Could you please repost them over on "Unusual Engines"?

10. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8