Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Reusing 28 Dodge front axle, spindles, drums, and wire wheels?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dum1, Oct 27, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Dum1

Dum1

Anyone have thoughts on reusing my 28 Dodge front axle, spindles, drums, and wire wheels for the front of the rod I'm building? I'll be stripping the car bare and dropping in a Chrysler 440 RB big block with an A833 behind it. Too heavy? Too dumb? No worries? Another option is to go with a Speedway Ford style drop axle though I assume they are Chinese castings. Are modern Chinese castings better than ninety year castings? Greatly appreciate any input--thanks in advance--Dum

Background--"The Hodge Podge Dodge"
    Foreground--"The FireTurd"
    http://www.fireturdracing.com/
    [​IMG]

2. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

What are the king pin diameters? Compare that to other axles for comparable strength.

Bones

3. Dum1

Dum1

They appear to be 7/8" going through about a 2 1/2" boss, so without disassembly they appear to be equal to any of the modern day Ford street rod stuff. Thanks for the input

Boneyard51 likes this.
  4. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

The king pins are a little smaller than a ford. They are 3/4" rather than fords 13/16" .
    The dodge tube axle is a beautiful part with more strength that people understand. Look at he ends, they are wrapped around the king pin boss and then welded. Way better design than the ford tube. They also drop the front end a fair bit.
    The later dodges,plymouth axles had hydraulic brakes. I had a set on a 30 axle.

You have no need of speedways Chinese parts.

weps and Boneyard51 like this.
    Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. Dum1

Dum1

Excellent! Thank you!