Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Retro Rides by Rich Does A Survivor...

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by retroridesbyrich, Jan 11, 2010.

1. retroridesbyrich

retroridesbyrich
    from Central NC

Well, the survivor hot rod (an original hot rod built in the 1950's) has arrived here at RRbR. I will begin evaluating what changes were made to it during it's long history and working with my client about the correct restoration needs of this piece of american hot rodding history.

This is a special treat for me, I've never "restored" a car, let alone a piece of hot rod history before. I am honored that my client has entrusted me with such an important task.

Started ripping into the "survivor" already. My upholsterer Bob Hill was over and we pulled the interior out, now I'm beginging to take this thing apart and figuring out how and why they did certain things.

My customer has been researching the history of the rod, which was originally from the Lima, Ohio area. If anyone has some info on it, it could only help. I'll keep you posted as this project continues.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 18, 2011
  2. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

3. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

It's too bad somebody that could love it like it is didn't get it. Change the oil, check all of the suspension and steering joints and renew where needed, re-line the brakes, get the top fabric to fit, and drive it.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2010
  4. 562roadster

562roadster

5. moon man

moon man
    BANNED

man change history, man sometimes some people have more money than brains.......

6. WOW!
    Remarkably well preserved.
    The top and windshield are a little tall for my tastes, but to honor it's history, it would be wrong to change it.
    Hit on the mechanics to make it safe then enjoy the time spent with it.

7. retroridesbyrich

retroridesbyrich
    from Central NC

Somebody has added quilted stainless to the wheel wells, firewall etc. added outboard m/c shocks.. It's going back to the way it was when first built, also some issues like the frame is tweaked, etc.

8. skwurl

skwurl

I would yank the top off, give her a once over, change the fluids and battery and drive as is.

9. That is a great example. of what a lot of people are aspiring to build. Very cool.

10. brady1929

brady1929

11. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

I'm a lil lost too,,if its a "survivor" why change it ? or when was the last change done ??

Yes somethings can be removed but if you strip and restore it ,,it would no longer be a survivor ,right ?

The HD fishtails,,thats a hoot

12. SniffnPaint

SniffnPaint

Anyone sign the stripes?

13. DYNODANNY

DYNODANNY

This is a bad ass roadster, nice.

14. Anderhart Speed

Anderhart Speed

I went to school in Lima, ohio, built quite a few contacts with the older crowd there, still talk to them. If you can get me some info like names or what not I'm sure I can get a bunch of history on this car.

Also, good luck with the resto-awesome peice of history!

15. Wicked Tin

Wicked Tin

16. Anderhart Speed

Anderhart Speed

PM me, I check that more often.

17. Gator

Gator

Very cool, I'm sure you guys will do it justice.

18. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I think some of you are missing whats going on here. As most cars it was built and over time owners changed things to their style. this car is going back to the original vision .. not being changed to something its never was.. just because it was brought back to light in its current state does not mean the current version is how it should remain.. (a later version of its original build). taking it back to how the original owner built it is the same thing alot of current historic hotrods have been done.

Anyone that know Rich's work know he has the ability to build a bitchin hotrod or in this case take one back to its earlier version..

19. 333 Half Evil

333 Half Evil

Then if it is not in the original version it really isn't a survivor. Just because it is till around does that make it a survivor? I would think a survivor would be something that lasted unchanged from it's original build. OH BOY....I bet I just opened a big can of worms, but I seriously would like to know what makes a changed/altered vehicle a survivor?

Either way, a nice looking ride as it is, sure it will be awesome when it is done. Is there pics of the car in it's original state? Do you know who built it originally? Who was the original owner etc?

If there are original pics can you please post them? Same goes with original builder/owner names etc. Thanks.

EDIT: I did not mean for this post to sound like an atack on RRyR or the owner or anything like that. I just wanted to know what makes a survivor or just a found old hot rod. I sent a PM to RRbR to appologise to him and to make sure he knew I did not mean for this to be an attack on him, his shop, the car, not the owner. I just did not know how to word what it was I was asking or getting at. Hopefully everyone will read this and understand I'm not trying to be rude or disrespectful. Thanks, Al.

20. retroridesbyrich

retroridesbyrich
    from Central NC

I felt it was a survivor because, while it has been changed (not for the good) it is still a hot rod. I'm charged with bringing it back to the way it was when the original builder (who had the original vision) built it. The only exceptions are I'm going to box the frame beacuse it needs it.

21. hotrodfrank

hotrodfrank
    from dearing,ga

i think some people need to learn to read, thanks for what you are doing.

22. sota

sota

Rich, glad you got the project in your shop.I'm sure with your great craftsmanship this will be one great old roadster when it leaves your shop.

23. Fuckin' beautiful car. Hope the new owner drives the ever-loving shit out of it. Good on you and him for keeping it safe and real!-MIKE

24. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

Cool! Who built the first version of it?
    Was it featured in any of the mags back then?

25. KUZTOM

KUZTOM

Hi Rich, I was thinking about you just the other day, hope all is well, this is gunna be a cool thread.
    Steve

26. retroridesbyrich

retroridesbyrich
    from Central NC

Thanks for the input guys. I appreciate it!

Here are some updated pics, since I've begun tearing into this project.

Attached Files:

27. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Smart move. Take it back to where it was and make it REALLY driveable.

Survivors are rad, but if you can't drive them - what's the point?

28. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Nice Rich!!! I wouldn't mine coming up on a Saturday and checking it out if you'll have me. This is really a really cool project and I'll know you'll do it right!!!

29. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

very cool rich ! cant wait to see it brought back

30. Rich, that has to be one of the most unique gas tanks I've ever seen!
    Boxing the frame should have been done years ago when the Hemi was installed.