Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects retiring soon- Ford F100 to become my daily driver as needed-

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 2bubbas, Feb 14, 2019.

1. Some changes to the "Hillbilly" as it will become my daily hauler-
    Cap so we can haul the dog-
    New tires-
    Fix the wipers/horn and turn signals-
    100_2758.JPG 100_2759.JPG 100_2760.JPG

2. bdynpnt

bdynpnt

2bubbas likes this.
  3. rusty valley

rusty valley

you're gonna murder it in the salt???

VANDENPLAS and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  4. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

Reminds me a lot of my Grandpa’s old truck. Spent a lot of time pretend driving back in the 60’s. I dig it.

2bubbas likes this.

5. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

If ya turn the emergency blinkers on, press the brake pedal, the radio will work intermittently. Ask me how I know.

King ford likes this.
  6. Being retired have no plans to drive in snow and salt-

VANDENPLAS and belair like this.
  7. Bob...get my truck out of that snow...she’s a Cali beauty...always glad to see your enjoying it...maybe one day she’ll come back to me...

2bubbas likes this.
  8. rusty valley

rusty valley

i have a rust free 89 diesel dodge, born and raised in new mexico, my idea of a perfect pickup. i am a seasonal worker, off work nov to april, and my goal is to never drive that truck in salt. but...reality is, you will find some deal, some trip, or some reason that you need a pickup in winter. you can only beg friends to do so many favors, then you drive your truck in the salt. i went to ca in mine last fall before winter set in i thought, and one night on the way home in casper wyo. it snowed enough over night that they salted. it was only a few hundered miles, but living in the salt belt you know its up in places you cant wash, and death has begun.

9. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

The salt belt cancer is tough , now the brine solution seems to be worse than anything on killling your plans on keeping stuff nice . It is frustrating , the humidity is near 90% everyday , and when it’s lower , salt arrives . I have an old Power Wagon ,with a transplanted Cummins drivetrain . A western climate and your good for the remainder of your life with it . Here , maybe 20 years and a struggle of concoctions to try to slow the effects down . If you want to keep the old Ford nice , just sitting in our zones you can retire want just watch it rust , that seems to be the big event in my day sometimes . Good luck with it , and enjoy it and be safe with your truck .

rusty valley likes this.
  10. gene-koning

gene-koning

If your retiring, and it lasts another 20 or so years, you probably will be OK. If your concerned, in another 15 years, a patch job can probably make it outlast you.

Enjoy the truck, and happy retirement, I strongly recommend it to everyone! Gene

2bubbas likes this.
  11. UNCLECHET

UNCLECHET

I think you know what to do with it to make it last. Hell, have fun with it, we only go around once! PS: It's a cool truck.

2bubbas likes this.
  12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd think that he already has another vehicle that is his "winter rig" around that serves duty in the bad months.
    I've got one out in the driveway now, the snow tires are worth more than I paid for the car and I don't worry too much about it being out in the snow and on the deicer on the highway in front of the house. OT yuppers, and so damned plain I loose it in the grocery store parking lot but it sacrifices to save the fun rigs.

13. bubba55

bubba55

2bubbas likes this.
  14. chargin03

chargin03

Good lookin truck !

2bubbas likes this.
  15. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

Nice!!!

2bubbas likes this.
  16. If I didn’t drive 100miles a day I would have an old truck to drive year round, salt be damned!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

2bubbas and VANDENPLAS like this.
  17. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

looks like you need to change it to "Snow Bunny" - good looking truck

2bubbas likes this.
  18. Rust check it
    Avoid the roads right after and during snow storms as that’s when they pour the salt out
    And give the undercarriage a real good wash in the spring
    It won’t avoid the salt issues but slow it down enough to make it a non issue
    Also if you can paint the underside it helps

19. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

I retired 9 years ago and started driving my 30 Model a pickup as a daily driver, it was already sitting outside. I use it to haul parts, yard waste and drive it in all kinds of weather. The down side is that the top rotted out last year and when I replaced it I had to replace the wood too. The paint is failing and the rear fenders have rust coming thru where they bolt to the running boards. I've sold a car and a dirt bike and plan on getting it back into the garage and repainting it.

Attached Files:

2bubbas, leon bee and Rex_A_Lott like this.
  20. leon bee

leon bee

I finally got retired then I started spending so much on cars and bikes I gotta go back part time.

NashRodMan and 2bubbas like this.