Register now to get rid of these ads!

" Retard" on US Gauge--help ID

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by lostmind, Jul 25, 2021.

1. lostmind

lostmind

DSCN4508.JPG DSCN4509.JPG DSCN4510.JPG I find a lot of gauges that have " Retard" on face, mostly pressure .

This is a vacuum / pressure gauge. For Supercharged engine?
    Or hand pressurized system?

Face has " Retard" , US Gauge , AD 2734

I cleaned it up some , no name or number on housing , in or out.

Has a Buick look to it, but my google skills are lacking. Early teens to late 20's is my guess

Any one recognize the shape or gauge?

Thanks

Roy

2. Speed~On

Speed~On

"The present invention relates to gauges and has special reference to retard gauges in which mechanism is employed to retard the movement of the gauge mechanism whenever the normal operating range of the gauge is exceeded.

More particularly this invention relates to a retard gauge having provision for controlling the exact point at which the retard mechanism comes into operation, and also for easily and accurately adjusting the retard mechanism to increase or decrease its retarding force or elect.

In a vacuum and pressure gauge such as that illustrated, the normal pressure range may be from 0 to 50 pounds. When the pressure exceeds 50 pounds, the mechanism is retarded so that the indicator moves a relatively small distance while indicating a relatively large change in pressure.

An object of the present invention is to provide a retard gauge having means for readily and accurately adjusting the retard range of the gauge.

Another object is to provide a retard gauge which may be quickly adjusted to control the exact point at which rthe retard mechanism comes into operation."

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  3. lostmind

lostmind

Thanks Speed- On , makes sense now. I got frustrated with google search , every thing but what I asked for.
    Thanks for taking the time.
    Now to find out what this gauge is for , and what car it fits.
    The low side reacts to vacuum.

4. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not PC anymore but it fits my personality to some folks. To most I’m positive:) and at times a retard.:confused:

VANDENPLAS likes this.

5. noboD

noboD

It may have come from a short bus.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  6. Seriously? :confused::eek::oops:o_O

VANDENPLAS and lostmind like this.
  7. Speed~On

Speed~On

@lostmind I have several US Gauge CO. NY gauges. Here is the temp and oil pressure gauge. Notice on my oil pressure gauge the distance from 0 to 20 compared to the distance from 60 to 80 on this retard gauge.

IMG_20200320_172739_736.jpg

Chebby belair, Oilguy and lostmind like this.
  8. lostmind

lostmind

So , next question. This is a Compound gauge ,normally used in refrigeration or Pumps.
    This gauge looks like it's always been in this case. Why would they need a compound gauge in 1920's car?
    Vacuum fuel tank ? Supercharger? Water pump/ cooling system?
    Hmmmm?

9. lostmind

lostmind

Up date . Matches 1924 Packard gauges. Still don't know what it's purpose was in a Packard.