Register now to get rid of these ads!

Resurrection day

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Donzie, Aug 30, 2012.

1. Donzie

Donzie

Well I decided to sell my '65 T-Bird. It's been setting in a garage for the past few years. It needed some wiring and exhaust work so I had parked the car to take care of higher priorities. Eventually I had lost the enthusiasm to work on it.
    So I posted an ad on Craig's List: For Sale or Trade.
    Tonight I went to the garage and swapped out the old battery and after several attempts of getting it to turn over I finally tracked down the problem to a corroded cable to the solenoid. A little gas in the carb and she fired up. A couple more trys and we had it idling.
    I drove it home, washed it up and decided......I'm keeping her.
    It has history for me. From a bad time in my live to getting my life back toghter. I've owned many cars over the years. Looking back I think of the ones I wished I had kept, not so much for the value but for the memories they held, the stories I tell about "the time I had my '40 Ford", my '67 Galaxie, my '29 tub...They were all part of special times and/or special people in my life.
    So I think I need to hang on to the T-Bird so I have no regrets later on.
    Here she is after I parked it, before I washed it.

Attached Files:

2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Way ta hang in there.

3. A T-Bird in Michigan not rotted out? Yeah, its a good one to keep even without the sentimentality.

4. Donzie

Donzie

I got the car from a guy in Kentucky, he had in storage for several years also.
    The paint is getting bad, a little rust popping thru but not bad, interior is nice, runs and drives good.
    Trying to decide what I want to do with it. Originally I was going to do a custom (now THERE'S a new concept) black w/ purple scallops, spinner 'caps,... but I'm now I'm thinking more of a hot rod.
    Maybe flat black with simple flames on the hood and fenders, Moon spun discs...something kinda sinister looking.

5. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Awesome! Glad to see you got it out.

6. Donzie

Donzie

Thanks Pete, long time coming. I've really missed going to the shows and hanging with you guys. Time (and money) has been an issue but things are getting better. I need to jump back in to the fire.

7. Gromit

Gromit

Since the paint is eventually getting a redo.. why not just flame it now and see how you like it? patina'd paint (not rusty mofo peeling paint) would be cool with flames. Then when you decide to splash it you can sand it down and go to town.

8. HotRodToomer

HotRodToomer

Hell yes!
    That thing is uncle buck awesome.

9. 1970s style with artistic lace, metalflake and all kinds of fuzzy dangly crap hanging off.:eek:
    Odd, but I miss those days..

10. deto

deto

Powder coat the wheels gloss black and leave the rest as is. The weathered paint would provide good contrast to some fresh rollers. Just my .02

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

11. jdubbya

jdubbya

:D
    Glad to see you on here Don, hope we will see you in Frankenmuth, with or without the T-bird.

12. Glad to see you back!

13. Deuces

Deuces

Does yours have the funky looking Holley carb with the twin choke horns???... If so, can you post a close-up picture of it please???
    Thanks in advance!!..;):)

14. Donzie

Donzie

Hmmm, Frankenmuth is next weekend, we may be able to pull that off. The car might not be pretty but we can probably make it Sunday. Is there any preferred parking for old GMB's?