Register now to get rid of these ads!

Restoring vintage UHaul trailer...Need pics please!

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by REVEREND JAKE, Apr 16, 2005.

1. This is the trailer I have. I can't find any other pics besides this one. Anybody else savvy enuff to conjure up something???

Reverend Jake

Attached Files:

2. have you tried contacting U-Haul and seeing if they've kept some kind of archives and info.

3. 67Imp.Wagon

67Imp.Wagon

I've never even seen one of those before. Pretty cool.

I'd strap a horse to the front and change my name to Ben Hur and drive that thing all around town. :D

VANDENPLAS and kidcampbell71 like this.
  4. I remember those as a kid. Pretty rudimentary as I recall. They'd be easy to fab.

5. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

Thats funny, I do remember those though. Kind of dates me.

6. CherryBlossom

CherryBlossom

ok, "space toaster" is like one of my favorite fonts, but dear GOD it's hard to read on the hamb!

Cool trailer...never seen one before! Good luck! :)

7. PDX Lefty

PDX Lefty

Cool. I haven't seen one of those since we moved from Texas years ago.

8. I haven't contacted Uhaul yet, but that is where I got this picture.

I need the pics because I'm going to make it just like it used to be. I read earlier that the back of the trailers said "2 dollars a day" and different sayings of that nature.

I lucked out one day when my dad called me and asked if I wanted a FINA sign. I told him to go ahead and bring it over. He told me I needed to come and get it. I said, "Dad, JUST BRING IT OVER!!!". He told me I had to come and get it with my truck. I relented and met him at his friend's house who had the sign. Boy, did I ever need my truck. The sign is a 6 footer that used to be at the front of a gas station.

While I was there, I noticed the trailer. I told the guy, "Wow, you've got a teardrop trailer. Ya wanna sell it?" He told me no, he bought it to haul deer in when he went hunting. I left it at that.

My dad called me 2 and a half years later..."Lets go get that trailer!" I said "What trailer?" He said, "The teardrop trailer!" I told him I'd meet him there in 5 minutes. I got the trailer. I asked my dad how he got his buddy to part with the trailer. He told me he asked the guy if he'd sell it everytime he saw him after that. Whatta score. I've had it safely in my shop for about a year now.

So, if anyone can help with archived info, it's greatly appreciated.

Reverend Jake

Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
  9. You know U-haul had hubcaps on all their early trailers? They said U-haul on them. Stainless too. Dean

Tim likes this.
  10. Blownolds

Blownolds
    from So Cal

If that's so, then you will want to set up your eBay settings (boy, aren't I presumptuous) to give you e-mail notification if anything like that turns up.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  11. In the mid '90's I worked at a U-Haul place for a short time. We had a brand new trailer delievered with chrome "U-Haul" hubcaps on it. It didn't leave with them though. ;) Maybe they are still floating around here somewhere.

I'll check.

JH

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  12. Believe it or not, my trailer is intact. It has about 4 or 5 generations of paint on it, but pretty much all the parts are there.

This trailer doesn't have "Uhaul" hubcabs, they are just chrome with a small point. The trailer rides on 13" rims, with small Ford 5 on 4 1/2 bolt pattern. It still has the dry rotted bias plys on it.

If I can get my camera to cooperate, I'll post actual pics of it.

I will contact Uhaul, but I wanted to see if you guys could find something in cyberspace that I haven't come across yet.

Thanks for all the help.

Reverend Jake

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  13. Bobby Green

Bobby Green

Jake,
    That trailer in awsome!
    Post some pics of yours...... I just bought an old Mullins trailer. i guess Them! will all have trailers now.

14. Bitchin!!! Man, I'm all super motivated now! I'll get some pics up.

Reverend Jake

15. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

Cool trailer, can't wait to see some pics. Maybe there is some old advertising out there.
    And not to hijack your thread but I have a 60s vintage single axle enclosed trailer. I got it from a friend and I remember before he painted it, it was green and had 2 big and little elephants. Does anyone remember the name of that company.

16. Hey Willowbilly3, if my memory serves me right, I think the name of that company was E-Z Haul. I remember seeing them around as a kid, but I haven't seen one from that company in quite some time. E

17. Bttt. I still haven't found anything.

I saw in the movie Sandlot some old U-hauls, but they weren't old enuff.

I'm going to contact U-haul, but I'm reluctant. Afraid they'll say something crazy like "That was stolen 60 years ago, we want it back"

What do ya think???

Reverend Jake

18. Thumper

Thumper

Yeah EZ Haul was big down here for a while..........loooooooong time ago.

19. muffman58

muffman58

LMAO! I just shot orange soda through my nose! That is a cool trailer!

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  20. That thing is gonna be sweet!

21. CURIOUS RASH

CURIOUS RASH
    Classified's Moderator

Jakey Poo,

There are a whole bunch of you U-Haul trailer loving freaks out there.

They're all organised and such. Forums and the whole bit. These are mostly camper people but I bet you'll get started in the right direction.

http://www.geocities.com/ttlic_2000/mbody.html

I still have that old Tonneau cover in the barn if you want to try and adapt it. You could probably even use the bows with minor modifications......

As far as that thing being stolen. Who would know or care at this point? It is common practice for U-Haul to sell their stuff off as it depreciates so I doubt that will be a problem.

Besides, I thought trailers were "community property" in Oklahoma?:D

22. I would be careful about contacting U-Haul. There policy for years has been to NOT SELL any of thier trailers. but to scrap them out and crush them. They don't want people using the old trailers in a dangerous fashion with U-Haul still painted on them. They might claim it or something stupis like that.

Beep

23. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

so what are you going to pull it with...my kinda a trailer "queen"!!!

24. That is so cool. Nice find. I'd paint it with curved scallops following the natural curves of the trailor. Some simple steelies and trim rings to match. Keep us updated, I want to see it again.

25. Thanx Rashy, I've been to that site before. I will search further on the site, but I didn't give it much of a look after I saw most of the U-haul stuff was 1984-85.

I'll be using my 53 chevy hardtop to pull it. "It" like so much other of my crap, I'm up to my eyeballs in.

Reverend Jake

26. Terry

Terry

REstore it to perfect original condition, except change the U to a I.

27. Terry,

I like it, great idea. Thats what I would do.

CBB

28. Old threads never die! Wonder If U-Haul has, as many companies do, had a book done of their history. could be that they have and would provide the info you're searching for.

29. hemifarris

hemifarris

That thing's really sweet!

30. purple

purple

The local dealer has a small one in the showroom. I've always wanted it. If needed I'll go take pics of it next week.