Register now to get rid of these ads!

Respect for the Y Block

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Oct 11, 2016.

1. All this disdain for the Y block just fuels our passion.

I guess the next time I see a front page post on the H.A.M.B. that gives good information on a vintage engine I should add my negativity about it lol. To each his own.

Some of my best friends have either a serious Hemi Mopar, or an original GM (yep a 283 in a 55), or even a rude Stude power plant. I appreciate the best qualities about each one of them.

My garage happens to have a Chrysler, GM, and a Ford with a Y block that runs strong enough. I like detroits big three. The y block powered cars and trucks I grew up with...back in the late 80s and early 90s....Never had any issues with thousands of miles and stock parts but I can relate on starter replacement in a passenger car.

As far as performance goes, anyone these days can make pretty good horses with just about any engine out there what with technology and parts available etc. For the Y block, just check the racing statistics of the mid 50s from 57 and earlier. IN ITS DAY it proved it was hard to beat. Fords move to shed the vacuum advance only distributors was the biggest improvement. Not enough displacement in the block and the FE took over in 58.

Of course if the tables were turned and when I was 16 everyone was running a Y block and the GM small block was the forgotten wonder then I would have went that route.

Yeh, I'm like that.

504640 likes this.
  2. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

IMO if the vintage class of the shootout included SBC and the Chrysler hemi, no one would give a s--t. It's the "other" engines guys want to see.

504640 likes this.
  3. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Which is why the C/AIR class didn't take off. It's a 350 Chevy class. If I was running the RFTA the class would be for single rocker shaft engines produced prior to 1970. Then I might make an exciption for Pontiacs.

mctim64 likes this.
  4. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

Wish it were mine. Don't see too many huffed out like this.

image.jpeg

5. RHRH3P

RHRH3P
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In 2004 I had to make a decision, rebuild the Y block in my 56 or put a 302 in. I looked on the Internet to research my options, found a website on y block parts, then picked up the phone to talk to John Mummert. I was 95% sure I was going the 302 route but I wanted someone that knew Y blocks to talk to me about them so I could make an informed decision. I asked a lot of questions and he took the time to answer them. Whatever John said that day must have made an impression. I rebuilt that Y block and I'm very happy I did. I love the look, the sound it makes through Smithys, and when people ask if it still has the Y block in it I can proudly say it does. I'm getting ready to build another for my 36 and looking forward to bringing another Y block back from the junkyard. Thank you John Mummert.

6. Larry Anderson

Larry Anderson

Always cool to see one supercharged. This one was in my dad's '56 Ford pickup. Quite the terror on the local strips and Portland streets back in the early '60's. Putting together something similar is on my bucket list.

Attached Files:

7. guy1unico

guy1unico

This 57 t bird motor worked out great in Fabian's 34 tudor
    lft eng.JPG

Cooon, ibflyin and y'sguy like this.
  8. It's about time!
    These are tough old motors. Last one I had was a .125 over 292 with Jahns 12-1's, Weber cam, polished and ported "G" heads with lightened valves, and Hedman headers. Backed up by a T-10 and 3.89 gears in a '56 Ford wagon. Beat it's share of Chevy's and I wish I still had it...

9. y'sguy

y'sguy
    from Tulsa, OK

[​IMG]
    this is my obsolete stroker yblock. Also have one in my 64 F100.
    [​IMG]

And one of my all - time favorites. Hilborn fuelie. Bluebird
    [​IMG]

fol, hendelec, 63fdsnr and 2 others like this.
  10. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Getting the parts to put a Y block back in my 55 sunliner,the 351-W I put in it seems to have less torque then the original 272.

aussie57wag likes this.
  11. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I think a Y-block with T-bird valve covers , the factory 2x4 intake and wcfb's looks damn good, I really do. I'd put one in a period hot rod...
    [​IMG]

Until I remembered I have one of these...
    [​IMG]

12. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's what I told Mike S when wanted the class...No Chevrolets or Chrysler Hemis. It didn't make the cut and now a certain Big Block Chev rules the show....sad.

13. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

How about it with the mandated NASCAR 1956 air cleaner "hens teeth.

14. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I really do like the factory 2x4 intake and cast T-bird valve covers, I have even looked at a couple ads for the intakes lately, and kinda thought if I saw an intake at a swap for the right price, I might be tempted, but you have to draw the line somewhere. If I put one in a hot rod, I would put small period aftermarket air cleaners on it. But I gotta say, for me at least, the dual wcfb chevy has the edge in period hot rod cool. There were SO MANY of them in hot rods in the late fifties/early sixties, and so FEW of them now.

15. Ran a 1964 Ford pick up for years with a Y block....although it did have the stock 4 speed granny....it never let me down even when I threw something on that back bumper hitch !

16. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

17. autobilly

autobilly

In 1986 I got my first car, a '59 Ford. That Y block sounded great and (with a few goodies) made plenty of power.

18. Cooon

Cooon

On to a new era for mine... Just a rebuild that is. Has now done 71000 miles, I got it at 63k. So will give it a freshen up with new pistons, bearings etc. Should stop the huge amounts of oil it was venting out. Will probably go 4 barrel too, and electric ignition.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. fol

fol

Power ain't everything, there's always gonna be someone faster... but if your ride sounds nice you can have fun going slow (probably why Harley D. is still in business). Flatheads and Y-blocks have a musical firing order. I recently (foolishly) got rid of my daily driver of last 15 years, an old '60s-built A roadster with '48 Merc and hollow sidepipes; now have something modern: this '54 Ford with '57 312, and it sounds even better!!! I'm sure it would be faster with a small 4 barrel, but who gives a rat's? DSCN0389.JPG DSCN0395.JPG

aussie57wag, RHRH3P and y'sguy like this.
  20. Like a 348 Chevy or a V6 GMC. They are a medocore truck engine? They do have fans who really think they are wonderful. And that's Ok. But you cant convince me. I think they are good boat anchors. I like the FE,s and small block,s. I started out many decades ago with Y blocks in 55 & 56 fords. Leaking sludgy , blow by, no oiling rockers, blown head gaskets between cyls. Holley teapot carbs and dual advance dist. And they where not a fast high RPM drag race engine.

belair likes this.
  21. Not sure I am necessarily a y-block fan, but also can't imagine putting anything else in my 56. As far as free y-blocks go, a buddy did just give me a free running 312 that I plan to rebuild and replace my 292 with. I am not really too concerned with going fast with this car, just want a reliable driver and a y-block bolts right in, looks cool, and sounds good.

image.jpg

22. kustomkat

kustomkat

<------There has been a free Y-block in that 53 Ford since 1995... Never looked back...

Raiman1959 likes this.
  23. unibody madness

unibody madness

Its quite simple really, I do not see any articles about other early venerated motors,they have all been replaced by 283, 302,327, the forever present 350 in every single make and model car ever made.
    I have owned and driven a lot of cars I would give a lot for today,most of which cost me under 700.00 at the time.
    I spent over 2,500.00 to do a mild rebuild on a 292 y block, my one and only ford back in the day, because the sound always stayed with me, modern oils and mods fixed all the oil problems that ALL of the old motors dealt with, and because without exception everyone stops to look at and hear the y block and not the 350/350 in the car or truck next to it.
    Admittedly there are much cheaper and much better supported motors out there, but if Y's where easy they would be in everything too.

24. Jakes38

Jakes38

To each his own I suppose, but I'm a firm believer in the ol' Y-Block. I managed to kill the 272 in my 55, and I wouldn't have replaced it with anything other than another Y. Tim McMaster did a bang up job on the 292 replacement motor. Can't wait to hear this baby run! 20161003_155721.jpg

y'sguy, Cooon and Raiman1959 like this.
  25. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

4.JPG P1010050.JPG Currently my only running hot rods both have Y-blocks. But I also have had SBF & SBC's. The Y-blocks may not be as fast, but they are WAY cooler looking and sounding.

fol, aussie57wag and y'sguy like this.
  26. lucas doolin

lucas doolin

The Y-block was good enough for Robert Mitchum in Thunder Road so it's good enough for me.

y'sguy, williebill and guthriesmith like this.
  27. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

We'd better be careful : You guys are making it sound like the Y-Block is the next Flathead or something!!

28. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

My bike is a Ducati...

29. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

Then the Damn prices will go so high we won't be able to afford them anymore!!

falcongeorge likes this.
  30. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I have always really liked these valve covers as well.
    [​IMG]