Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Rescued another F1...Help ID engine please

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LOWFOMOCO, Aug 25, 2010.

1. LOWFOMOCO

LOWFOMOCO
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So I bought a 49 F1 a couple of weeks ago. Not real sure what engine is in it...the old timer says it is an Oldsmobile with an adapter to the factory 4 speed. It has an oddball Stromberg carb on it....Prolly built in the 60's...been sittin since the 80's. Tell me what I have please....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. My guess is a Nailhead Buick. Nice project

3. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

4. Definately a Nailhead Spuick

5. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Cool score! Already set up with a Nailhead and a 4 speed! What are your plans for the truck?

6. Philbilly

Philbilly

Great score! That is definitely a nailhead.

7. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

great score, except he said he adapted the stock 4spd to the motor. stock F1 4spd is pretty much useless in a daily driver. 1st is super low granny gear. rip it out and put in a 3spd or more modern trans.

8. LOWFOMOCO

LOWFOMOCO
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nothing major...altitude adjustment...I want to do a dropped axle and a flip kit to get it down low......I want to see if this motor is any good...If it is junk I have a 289 with an AOD that would work well. I'm going to build a low buck driver....something to haul the trash in....

9. LOWFOMOCO

LOWFOMOCO
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Any idea what year(s)?

Thanks for the help...

10. If I had to take a stab in the dark I'd say it's a 322. So '53 to 56. Excellent score.

11. Abomination

Abomination

That's a Stromberg WW carb, likely off of a Studebaker (the Stude ones had the side-draft tops for hood clearance).

~Jason

12. chickenshift

chickenshift

13. Nice project! And a great engine too... I ended up with two of those stock 4 speed boat anchors - came with the engines. Ended up using a T5 behind one of the engines and it's a sweet set up! Maby work for your project. My son dropped a newer T56 six speed into his '90 Chevy truck and this could be done also.
    Keep us posted....

14. Skankin' Rat Fink

Skankin' Rat Fink
    from NYC

If you end up going with the 289, just make sure the Nailhead goes to a good home. :)

Or keep it for yourself, to go in something else. Nailheads are cool.

15. LOWFOMOCO

LOWFOMOCO
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

OK so the more I listen and the more I look I'm with ya'll on the nail head. So now for the questions....What were the cubic inches? When I think "Nailhead" I think Rivera from the early 60's...I need to research some of the nailhead threads....Here are a couple more pics....And I don't have the slightest idea what to do with this carburator....please excuse my ignorance. I need to do some more home work....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. henrys_way

henrys_way
    from Maine

Wow...thats cool! Nice score. Looks like it will make a nice Trash Hauler.

17. Abomination

Abomination

18. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

very cool.... pull the plugs and put some marvel in there and see if she will turn over by hand... I'm pulling for it.

19. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Going on the presumption that the engine is as it was when it was pulled from its original location, the solid valve covers and valley cover mounted oil fill peg it as a '53-mid '55 engine. Check out the lower pulley; a '53 322 or '54-'55 264 (Special engine) won't have a harmonic balancer, just a narrow pulley. Even though the truck four speed ain't exactly a Muncie, at least you've got a stick flywheel and clutch setup. Funny--it's the same style truck that my early nailhead came out of!

20. LOWFOMOCO

LOWFOMOCO
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I see what you described as a narrow pully...not a harmonic balancer. Also on the valve cover it says "FIREBALL V EIGHT +"...Thanks for the info.....

21. Wow you never know where a nailhead will show up!