Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rescue Tape - found this interesting

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by murder_city_devil, May 6, 2009.

1. taken from Boing Boing, and i'm curious if anyone is familiar with it? might just be one more thing to keep in the tool box (if it's legit:rolleyes:)
    [​IMG]
    Self-fusing silicone "rescue" tape sounds like some powerfully useful stuff -- permanently bonds to itself in one minute, creating a 700psi-rated, acid/solvent/oil-resistant seal. As the Red Ferret sez, "just think of it as a reel of spare fanbelt."

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000ZTK6CI/downandoutint-20

2. I have used it and now carry a roll in all my cars. I was introduced to it when I had a radiator hose burst (there was a small slit in it) and this stuff held beautifully. I then used it on a speedometer cable that was burned by exhaust and was leaking trans oil. It sealed it like new! Great stuff!

3. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So if it comes on a roll, what good is it? Seems like it would just have a 1-minute shelf life:)

4. I swear by that stuff. Once you wrap it it's perminant. I've been using it on and off for 5-6 years. Saved my in the middle of the mountains on a road trip (blown rad hose)

5. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

I think there is a thin membrane between the layers.

6. There is a thin plastic backing. Shelf live is not a problem

7. hustlinhillbilly

hustlinhillbilly
    from ohio

Sold at your local ACE Hardware under the name brand Tommy Tape. I've never used it, but sold a lot of it to old school plumbers that swore by it, as a temporary fix for a leaking pipe.

8. LastMinuteMark

LastMinuteMark
    from So. Cal.

+1 more for that stuff.........i keep it in my old jet boat

9. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

10. RichG

RichG

I've never used the tape, but I give a +1 for Duluth Trading, I buy all my T-shirts from them, no more "plumber butt":p They also sell some pretty cool toys!

11. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

Good stuff, used on my boat a few times.

12. really cool stuff,Ive also gotton my hands on the wide chrome tape they fix holes in aircraft with,very cool damn near bullet proof and looks good........everyrod should have tommy tape in it next to the bailing wire

13. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Guess we all should buy some stock in that company!

14. Abomination

Abomination

15. 54chebby

54chebby
    BANNED
    from Ohio

Great stuff. It was actually first used in the military. I used to use that stuff when i was an F-16 crew chief a few years ago. We used it on the air ducts. They have it in a rust color too.

16. billbrown

billbrown
    BANNED

a guy came into the dealer wiht his Montana van with a blown radiator hose. He drove from memphis to Northern Indiana/Chicago with that stuff. I had a hell of a time cutting it off to get to the clamp on the water neck. Tough stuuf, but I dont know how premanent.

17. madmal04

madmal04
    from CA

Some of us carry it in our Jeeps when we go wheelin!

18. michaelthe9

michaelthe9

Does it always vibrate like that? Sounds like I gotta get me some of that stuff. I could have used it multiple times in the past.
    Thanks for bringing it up.
    Michael

19. you mean the picture being blurry? ha! yeah, i stole it from the web and it's a really bad picture. i'm stoked on this stuff, going to order some just as added security when i get my car on the road.

20. junk fiend

junk fiend

so where do you get this stuff?

21. zbuickman

zbuickman

3-M also sells it for use in making up stress cones and rain shields on 25 KV and up wires and underground splice kits:)

22. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

holly shit..never seen or used it..i must have been hiding under a rock

23. rottenrod

rottenrod

that sounds awesome definitely going on my list of stuff to carry in the truck

24. OhioRiv

OhioRiv

It's made by the same people who make that acid that eats through everything. Except they can't find anything to package it in.

25. paintslinger

paintslinger
    from Kemah, Tx

That stuff works great. Dont leave home without it.

26. slepe67

slepe67

We call that stuff f-4 tape. Amazing stuff. We use it around backshell connectors, and where wiring harnesses come in contact with aircraft parts (fuselage, etc). Majic!

27. Chaoticcustoms

Chaoticcustoms

hmm...i gota a case of it for free a couple years ago and had no freaking clue what it was for......good to know now, guess ill swear by it too lol.

28. I've wrapped wires when I've run out of shrink tubing. You can't get it off. No way. You have to cut that section of wire out.

29. Abomination

Abomination

That IS badass!

Makes a great stocking stuffer I'll bet! LOL!

~Jason

30. I have a roll of it in grey and had a black roll used it to seal up the ignition switch on my old bike. the stuff works period.