Register now to get rid of these ads!

Requesting Advice: Storing Carbs?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by reichart90, Feb 9, 2008.

1. reichart90

reichart90

Whats the best way to "store" carbs ...
    as in i have a pair of holley 94s on a 2x2 setup that came off of my dads car when he updated to 3x2s.. anyway
    so basically this whole setup was leak-tight and all. how should i keep it that way? so it doesnt "dry out" or whatever. i'm going to use these on a future project and they wont get run again for probably a year... because i am slow with stuff
    anyway

i have the complete motor -> oil pan to air filter on an engine stand that i planned on throwing a blanked over and sitting in the corner of the garage until its ready to go in.

thanks in advance and if this has already been posted - sorry (didnt know the best way to search the topic)

-Tim

2. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

I know that this may sound like a dumb reply.........but, on a shelf indoors. I have a "handful" of carbs stored this way........I know that when I bought a Holley Dbl pumper in the 80's it came in a plastic bag if that helps you at all. I do have a couple of LZ carbs on top of my computer monitor to keep my computer up to speed.

Chris Nelson
    Kansas

3. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Drain all of the gas out of them first. Putting some light oil in them (Marvel Mystery) helps keep the check balls from sticking, also keeps the accelerator pump leather supple. Then put them on a shelf in the shop. I don't put them in plastic bags, like to let them breathe. When ready to use, flush them with some gas to dissolve the oil out, then run 'em.

4. Personally, if it's more than a month or so, I just rebuild when I am ready to use them. Only takes 30 minutes. You will know the gaskets are good and the needle valve(s) is not dried out.

5. reichart90

reichart90

..thanks for the quick responses