Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Reproduction B1175 Rear hub seals wrong Thickness?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by woodz, Jun 8, 2018.

1. woodz

woodz

So I am installing new rear hub seals on my 40 rear diff running 38 wide five drums, I get the new seals from our local old car parts store. They are reproduction B1175 seals.
    I install the first one and I can not get the C-Clip in. The seal is bottomed out in the bore but blocking the groove.
    So I measure the thickness of the other new seal and it is 0.541" thick.
    I measure the thickness of the old seal I removed and it is 0.427" thick.
    I went back to the parts store and they had a box of about 20 of them all 0.541"
    They have called their supplier and are waiting to find out whats up, But I thought i would see if anyone else has had this issue or if I am doing something wrong.
    Thanks

2. If the new seal is a good snug fit in the axle housing, is it possible that it's been designed to work without needing the c-ring to retain it?

3. woodz

woodz

That’s a good point and I have thought of that. From what I can measure they are a 0.008” interference fit.
    Pretty tight.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

4. woodz

woodz

IMG_7820.jpg IMG_7821.jpg
    So I still haven’t herd back from the parts supplier about these seals so I decided to search for a modern seal.
    I found CR seal #20702 to be the correct fit I.D and O.D.
    But they did not have the inner part of the seal to retain the wheel bearing.
    So at this point, my choices were:
    1-to run the OE repop seal that would not allow the use of the c-clip
    2- wait and see what the parts store says about the new seal and hope they get the correct one in ASAP
    3- combine the new seal I found with the old seal retainer.
    I choose #3
    I cut out the inside bearing retainer from the repop seal, trimmed it’s width and pressed it into the new CR seal I got, pressed it into the hub and installed the c-clip. IMG_7824.jpg IMG_7825.jpg
    Probably should have waited for the correct sea but I think this will work. I will let you know if it fails.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good adapting! Failure is a major misery in there.
    I noticed recently that Bratton's Model A parts place has reproduced versions of 3 nice rear axle tools...fit all the banjos. These aren't necessities, but can save a lot of screaming and cursing when you are trying to get the seal dead straight before you smack it in.
    They make holder/drivers for rear hub seal (in brake drum), the axle seal in axle housing, and torque tube bearing and seal costing between 7 and 20 bucks. If you don't have the KRW equivalents, these are adequate replacements.

woodz likes this.
  6. 19Fordy

19Fordy

On my 40 Ford rear hubs there is space between the seal and the C-clip groove so that the C-clip can snap in place. The rear hubs shown are from MT Brake Products which are the same internal dimensions as the OEM Ford. Call MT Brake Products and they will help. Disregard the numbers I wrote on the seals. C and G also has the seals. Notice the number is different than your seal.
    https://cgfordparts.com/ufolder/cgc...desc=rear+grease+seal&sd=Search&searchnumber=

Attached Files:

woodz likes this.
  7. woodz

woodz

Bruce, thanks for the heads up, I will look into those tools.
    19forty, that’s how it should be, but the repop seals I have were too thick to let the C-clip go in.
    Still haven’t herd back from my parts place on why yet

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

8. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Just tell your parts person the part number of the seal you need or order it yourself. You won't find any better prices than what is available below.
    The original seals used leather instead of neoprene rubber. Of course they are no longer available but someone may have them stashed away. According to the 1940 Ford parts manual the correct seal for the rear hub is #78-1175 with 2.84 O.D. Fits 1938-41 Ford.
    If you want original leather OEM seals go here:
    https://www.ebay.com/i/372308159527?chn=ps
    If you want modern day reproduction seals go here:
    https://www.ebay.com/p/1938-48-Ford-Rear-Wheel-Grease-Seals-Ee3/1257954586?iid=390998485161&chn=ps
    Be sure to grind one of the angles on you C-Clip so that you can easily remove it with snap ring pliers in future. Also, Do not ever try to grease the rear wheel bearings using the grease fitting on the backside of the backing plate near the end of the housing. If you do, grease will get on the brake shoes. Read thru the following thread to find out which rear wheel bearing grease to use on the stock 40 Ford.
    https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=234677&highlight=rear+wheel+bearing+grease

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018