Register now to get rid of these ads!

Repost pics...Front suspension for the 3W

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 3wLarry, Jul 28, 2005.

1. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

I've been getting alot of requests for the pics of the front end on the coupe and I referred them to do a search for the thread on it that Tman posted the pics for. Well, somehow the post is there, but the pics have disappeared. :confused: So here are the pics of the Rolling Bones front end you guys wanted. If you need any dimensions or info, let me know. Larry

Attached Files:

Moriarity and kidcampbell71 like this.
  2. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

and more

Attached Files:

3. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

one more

Attached Files:

4. Dakota

Dakota
    from Beulah, ND

what shocks are those?

Houdailie?(sp?) and what are the Shock links?

very nice, taking noptes for a future project =)

5. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

Shocks are 1933 Ford REAR shocks with 1933 Ford shock arms that are lengthened by taking 2 arms and making one. So you will need 4 shock arms.

kidcampbell71 and Moriarity like this.
  6. Dakota

Dakota
    from Beulah, ND

very cool, thanks. =)

I am running 46 ford front and rears on my tmod, lever action hydraulic.

those look a little better, and i have anopther 27 roadster project in the wings.

thanks for posting the pics, gave me some great ideas.

~aaron

7. Clark

Clark

Larry...one thing that suprised me about their frames is the pinch doesn't flow well. In other words you can tell exactly where it is. I did mine at the reveal in the frame and made 3 cuts in the bottom to get it to flow.

Don't get me wrong I love their stuff and my car is clearly inspired by their cars. I did my own thing but did take a few things from their cars.
    Clark

8. I am going to ask a dumb one here - with the shocks mounted inside what do you do if they need replaced? It just looks like the plates are getting welded in and no holes to access any bolts :confused:

BTW - Every picture of this car just shows more detail on how AWESOME it really is - thanks for sharing.

9. Kilroy

Kilroy
    from Orange, Ca

That's why I did the opposite on mine and spread the frame slightly just under the cowl. This bought the horns in at the shell and widened the frame slightly where it normally was quite a bit narower than the body.

But the Spencer roadster is the same as the bones frames.

10. Clark

Clark

I should have figured the Spencer car was the same.
    Clark

11. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

Are you saying that the Doane Spencer/Rolling Bones Gods got it wrong? :D I actually am wondering why they didn't make it flow a little better myself, but... what the hell do I know?

12. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

The only dumb question is the one you don't ask. Otherwise, how do ya learn? If you look at the second set of pics, 3rd down on the left, you'll see (not very well) that there are cutouts just enough to put a socket into on each side of the shock on the inside of the frame. Unbolt them then slide them out the back. The only bad part is that to get the shock out, you have to tilt the motor some. :(

Moriarity likes this.
  13. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

14. Very nicely done. I especially like the shock setup. About the only thing I would have done different would be to make the spring shackle mounts thru the wishbones a bolted connection so they could swivel to align and take any twist out of the spring. If the spring has to twist any it causes loads on the shackles that they weren't designed to deal with.

Other than that.....BITCHIN' !! :)

15. 34Fordtk

34Fordtk

I assume the "hooks" on the end of the frame made to catch the axle if something breaks? Or just to hook the "comealong" to? LOL! BTW I have noticed that a LOT of pics are gone from posts...........

16. Got it I guess I just could not see that the hole was oversized that much.
    Thanks again this thing is awesome.

17. Retroline

Retroline

Thanks for the little details Larry. Where is the front cross member placed with this set up, is it further back or in the stock position?
    Thanks,
    Chad.

18. The37Kid

The37Kid

I wonder if Model Ford T rear spring mounts could be used to do this? Photos show a 1909-25 mount the 26-27 is dropped and in line with the threaded mount. Spring width is 2 inch stud length is 1 1/8

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  19. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

Hey Chad. The Pete/Jake Model A x-member is 1.5 inches back from stock.

20. striper

striper

Those "Dogbone" links you've used to hook up the front shocks...are they available new somewhere? I haven't seen them in any catalogs.

Hey I think I saw some metal that didn't have a hole cut in it.

I love that front end set up.

Pete

21. flatoz

flatoz

thanks for the indepth pics, I have always wondered how the front was set up.

now I know!

22. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

Hang on while I get the hole saw! :D Ken Schmidt supplied the aftermarket dogbones. I don't know where he got them, but you can call him at 518-885-6758.

Moriarity likes this.
  23. The37Kid

The37Kid

Snyder's lists the links for $5.25 each, part # 18055.

24. Kinda like that. I'd weld a tubular spud through the split wishbone and make a shackle mount like in your photos....just a tube welded to a bolt. Welded with 7018 and an arc welder....not one of those MIG deals. I never liked the penetration of MIG on heavier stuff. It would look the same as his except it could swivel in the wishbone to eliminate any misalignment.

25. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Never understood the idea that a perch like that would actually swivel under load and in use. Not that it's a terrible idea, I just don't believe it happens. And with such limited travel I think it fixes a problem that doesn't exist.

26. The37Kid

The37Kid

I think you're right, but having the perch free to move on setup would allow the spring,shackle and perch to all be aligned, then you could tighten the nut and never worry about the spring being twisted.

27. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

Bttt. Last time for the weekend guys.

Moriarity likes this.
  28. Exactly ! :)

29. Mr Fast..........that is EXACTLY how I did the shackle mounts on my touring. Rides smooth and is bind free.

Larry, we lost those pics in that HAMB glitch a couple months back. Other posts are hit as well.

30. Snyders and ALL FORD have those dogbones, there are several variations.