Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Replica of the Ivo's Showboat dragster

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NITROFC, Oct 1, 2010.

1. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

the front hub retainer caps need to be drilled for 8 bolts around the OD . go back to PG5

Last edited: May 19, 2020
    kidcampbell71, Ken Foran and loudbang like this.
  2. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

HAPPY ANIVERSERY
    ITS BEEN A YEAR
    took me a year to build the clone also

3. That's fast! Every rod I have built has taken about 2 yrs. ('36 Willys coupe, '62 Nash Metro, '59 Elky, '53 Chevy king-cab, '36 Pontiac sedan, '37 Willys pickup, Mysterion clone).

4. Ken Foran

Ken Foran

Thanks Bruce and Jeff, that would be elapsed time, but actual built time is more like 8 months. Since I was doing a Constitution Cross section kit design. Yesterday I received a commission to design a kit based on of the WWI airplane I did years ago the Fokker E-IV the one with the double back to back 7 cylinder rotary engine.

Bruce thanks again for pointing that out I just completely forgot about going back and redoing them. In fact I will have to do new ones since there is also a step in the design. But that will now be a roundtoit given the commission, paying jobs come first.
    Here are pictures of what they want for a kit. E-IV Wings Right Front.jpg

E-IV Rear Right Closeup copy.jpg

Here is the Cross section kit I designed while using the Showboat as a break from tying knots or waiting for paint to dry. I do the Cad drawing plans, fabricate parts for casting, write the assembly instructions, draw the laser cut parts and photo etched parts and then build the prototype seen below using actual production parts and castings as a proof of production.
    Final Front 01.jpg

Final Front 02.jpg

pwschuh, kidcampbell71, Lepus and 8 others like this.
  5. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

Absolutely amazing work. If you would not mind, may I PM you regarding consignments.

Ken Foran and loudbang like this.
  6. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Would have been quicker if IVO didnt call me 3 times a day

7. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

I used the wrong word. I meant to type commission not consignment.

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  8. Ken Foran

Ken Foran

loudbang likes this.
  9. Ken Foran

Ken Foran

Struck out with the decal supplier, cannot hold registration for white to brighten colors on dark red, see picture. Did a test on chrome axle to show supplier. At least he was kind enough to refund money. Showboat will have to go naked until I can find a supplier than can do small decals.
    Decal Test.jpg

Deuces, loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  10. Since you are a DIY fanatic , have you looked into an Alps MD 5000 dry transfer printer? They have not been made for maybe a decade but are still available on eBaY. They don’t use ink, they use dry color tapes like a typewriter so can print full color, but more importantly white and foil metallics. A lot of guys use them to make custom decals. I think the tapes are still available.

11. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Have him separate the white from the red, then apply the white first and the red second on top of the white as the primer

12. Ken Foran

Ken Foran

Bruce, Jeff, he printed them with an ALPS printer, his problem is he cannot hold registration on the passes, or just does not want to take the time to adjust the printer. He is not just a bit out of registration, he is not even in the ballpark. There is even the black outline for margin of error.

I just heard back from a guy in Australia, but he does not do custom work.

Bruce I sent the same pics to Tommy and I sent him some two weeks ago but had not heard back. He must be busy with new toys.

Will keep looking for a source do do them. Thanks for the suggestions.

13. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

VonDutch was known for his near Micro Lettering skills in his younger days

14. Actually the decal w/o the white background looks pretty nice on the chrome background.

chryslerfan55, loudbang and Ken Foran like this.
  15. Ken Foran

Ken Foran

Found a guy in Australia and he can even do the engine turning; if it turns out as good as his proof I will be extremely happy. I sent him my file and he bounced right back with this proof which as far as I am concerned is fantastic. Showboat Graphics A.jpg .

16. Ken Foran

Ken Foran

Yes this is the same guy that said he did not do custom work, I thanked him for getting back sent him a picture of the graphics and picture of the model just for his FYI. Next thing I know is a Holy S**t reply and he asked for the Photoshop file. Go figure.

Sky Six, loudbang and ottoman like this.
  17. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

This is a copy of a E-Mail that IVO sent Ken---- Enjoy

Ken,
    I can't begin to tell you just how astonished I am with what you've created here. Because I've had some guys build models of my cars over the years and always thought they were miraculous in what they did. Especially with the best done ones I've seen. But they don't hold a candle to you my good man. I say astonished, only because there isn't really a word I can think of to express my amazement of what you've accomplished.

Remember I was there when it was born and it was in labor for a full year. So I can probably appreciate your work more than anyone. We hand crafted every piece with loving care. But not as much as you've done with the surgical care, that was needed for you version --- and all from "nothing" to start with!!! Plus you hit it spot on.................. And with me being the perfectionist to a fault that I am. I hope you can know that I sincerely mean it when I say "spot on"!!!

I though I went to a lot of trouble to come up with little things like the toggle switches. Remember, this was built back to the days when us hot rodders were working with axes and hammers to get things done. When I I pried them out of an old WW2 bomber that was abandon here at the Grand Central Air Terminal, in Glendale. But to come up with them from scratch --- give me a brake!!!

I told Bruce he had magic hands, when he built the clone of this car. But you sir have the hands of a wizard, to build all this from nothingness. My hats off to you. And I can truly say you've given me a pretty proud feeling. To know that you would think enough of what's my signature car, to create a "Faberge egg" replica of it like this.
    TV Tommy Ivo

18. loudbang

loudbang

That was a great email from Tommy and well deserved.

19. Ken Foran

Ken Foran

Bruce, thanks for posting, what can one say about such a great email from a racing legend.

20. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

A tribute well deserved from a racing legend to a Master Craftsman.

21. Ken Foran

Ken Foran

Waiting for the decals to come from Australia, taking a break from CAD drawing the Eindecker I went back and finished the front wheel hubs per Bruce's much appreciated reminder. The great thing about scratch building is that you can always cleanup details as they are discovered. Here is the front hubs with bolts added using turned aluminum and chrome plated bolts polished.
    Front Wheel hub 01.jpg

22. Ken Foran

Ken Foran

The decals arrived from Australia and they are just fantastic and easy to apply. I would recommend this supplier to anyone needing engine turning decals. Not on foil but still a great effect, better than plain color.Not printed on an ALPS printer. Does not recommend spraying clear but use Future wax instead. I will need to buy some.

This will also be the last Showboat posting here. This has been a fun build and hope some have enjoyed following along.
    2Views01.jpg
    2Views02.jpg
    2Views03.jpg

2Views04.jpg

2Views05.jpg

2Views06.jpg

2Views07.jpg

2Views08.jpg

2Views08a.jpg

2Views09.jpg

2Views10.jpg

2Views11.jpg

Will be picking up the glass display case later today. Everyone have a great day and building!

23. LAROKE

LAROKE

Many thanx for the ride along. It's been amazing !!

24. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Ken,
    What is someone to say about something like this. I guess I can start with thanking you so much, for doing me the honor of feeling my signature car was worthy of all this effort to make a copy of it in Faberge egg quality. Not to mention how astounded I am with your workmanship on intense detail, that leaves me with my jaw hitting the floor. Have you got the idea yet that I really, really like it. Kudos to you my friend.

One thing though. You only have 14 headers going down the middle between the engines. When people use to tell me that, I'd say no there's 16 of them there. And I'd see them back at the car counting them again. It's just the impish nature in me, from making one to many situation comedy's during my movie career perhaps. You can empathize with poor, poor Bruce for putting up with me during our lengthy work on this project.

Thanks so much for sending the photos on.
    TV Tom

25. Ken, you sir are amazing....................................................................................................

26. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You are a talented artist and machinist. It was an incredible journey, thanks for the ride along.

Ken Foran likes this.
  27. loudbang

loudbang

BRAVO Sir.That is really a "Work of Art" :)

Ken Foran likes this.
  28. OK, now that it is done, enter it in the GSL model contest in Salt Lake City at the National Model Car Museum next year. Mark Gustavson says this will be the last year the contest will be held. Your car is likely to win Best Scratch Built, Best of Show, and silliness like that. More importantly, this will allow me to see it in person.

29. Mojo

Mojo

Really enjoyed this, one of my favorite cars. Thanks for documenting the build so well. Absolutely incredible.

Ken Foran and chryslerfan55 like this.