Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Replacing fuel sender

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by IowaTom, Mar 8, 2021.

1. IowaTom

IowaTom

Guys - When I replaced the fuel sender on my '59 Rambler, I'm sure I used something gas-resistant and probably by Permatex on the gasket. If I fill my tank over half full, it sloshes around and runs down. Have you had success with a certain adhesive...or do you just replace the gasket dry?

2. Lost in the Fifties

Lost in the Fifties

I have always installed dry, and never had a problem with leaks afterward.

3. squirrel

squirrel

I might put a little oil on the gasket, so the screws can go in easily, and their sealing washers won't get damaged, but no sealer.

The problem with these things, is that on many cars you can't see the sender when it's installed, so you can't really see what's going on. And the leaked fuel evaporates by the time you can get it to where you can see something.

My guess is there's something leaking, besides the gasket. It's time for a slow, careful inspection of the whole thing. Look for cracks, bad hose, something bent, other sources for the problem, etc. Good luck!

jaracer likes this.
  4. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Last edited: Mar 8, 2021

5. The gasket offered for the tri five cars are mostly rubber. They need sealer. You can buy sealer that is gas resistant. Drys really fast. Has the smell of the old airplane glue we used as kids.

6. 19Fordy

19Fordy

With today's ethanol fuel you might want to avoid rubber gaskets.
    They deteriorate very rapidly unless specially designed.

7. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The one in my tank has been off at least 10 times and never replaced and doesn’t leaks. It a gray gasket material not sealed on either side. I’m assuming it’s correct for fuel as it came with the float/sender.