Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Replacing front glass in Redneck body

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rramjet1, Sep 1, 2018.

1. Rramjet1

Rramjet1

IMG_0147.JPG

The front glass in my car is quite pitted. Something that happens with 49k miles in a high boy. Had my favorite glass man over looking at it today. He specializes in glass for hot rods, customs and boats. He is unsure how this glass and frame are installed. Thinks it’s glued in with urethane. Ugh. Anyone familiar with Redneck stuff? I’ll be contacting them after the holiday but thought maybe someone had dealt with this already.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Perhaps time to look for another (new favorite ?) glass man ?

3. Mine is a Gibbons and have the same thing happening. The frame is screwed together in the lower corners after it is removed. I glued mine in years ago and now it is rusting. I'm interested in how to get it out again too...

Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
  4. alchemy

alchemy

You think the whole windshield frame is glued into the body? That's a real hack way of installing it. I hope that's not how the car was built.

A stock 32 3-window has hinges at the top and arms at the side to clamp with thumbscrews. If yours doesn't have those, I'd be looking under the header and dash for some other type of screws holding the frame in place.

5. It is a common practice to glue the frame into a glass hot rod body. I know on a regular OT windshield that is glued in they use a knife to cut it loose and insert a wire with loops at each end and cut it out in about 60 seconds.

I assume that we will have to do the same.

6. Dennis D

Dennis D

Frame is probably glued to the glass. Thin knife blade to cut adhesive between frame and windshield. Small dabs of adhesive will hold it in place after replacement. Cutting the old glass out will be tedious. D

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It should be reasonably easy to tell if they used any screws to attach it but I'd think the glass dude is right in that they set it with glass tape, urethane or some other adhesive.

8. Mine has a little canvas like ribbon folded over the edge of the glass before it was inserted it into the frame. I think that is common practice too.

razoo lew and Rramjet1 like this.
  9. Rramjet1

Rramjet1

I have no doubt he can get it out we are just concerned that the frame may get damaged in the process. Red neck shows window frames on their site so will contact them to see if I can actually get one.

10. Rramjet1

Rramjet1

This guy works on very high end stuff for shops around here. I’ve had him do work on some of my other cars and he knows what he is doing.

11. Perhaps I misunderstood your original post, but its highlighted phrases copied/pasted to my initial reply gave me an impression he doesn't.
    Besides, if he did, there wouldn't have been a need for your original post, right ?

12. X-cpe

X-cpe

"A man's got to know his limitations." Just because your good at something doesn't mean you've seen it all. The only one who knows for sure how it's put (or cobbled) together is the one who did it. What's the old saying, "When ever you finally idiot proof something, someone makes a better idiot."

13. Good point.
    Thank you.

14. I got one from Speedway, but I have to cut it down and get it chromed. It looks like it will fit perfectly.

15. Chuck Craig

Chuck Craig
    from Ocala FL

Normally you can tell a lot about it by looking closely at the glass from the inside after removing all the interior moldings (if any). You should be able to see if they used a tape kit, or Urethane. The exterior trim is more than likely put on with a sealer, much like a double faced tape. Let us know when you find out how it was put in then should be able to tell you how to get it out.

16. Rramjet1

Rramjet1

Update, my magician of a glass guy got it replaced. Looks great.

Montana1 likes this.
  17. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

how did he do it? thanks

18. vettes2

vettes2
    from OKC, OK

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
  19. Rramjet1

Rramjet1

Not sure. It’s in the hospital because of an unfortunate meeting with a SUV and he did it there. I’ve seen the work and it looks great. He specializes in old cars and knows lots of tricks.

20. Rramjet1

Rramjet1

Montana1 likes this.