Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Replacement dip stick/tube th350

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ben Chirco, Jan 28, 2020.

1. Ben Chirco

Ben Chirco

I am back for more help. 1930 model A i purchased three months ago. chevy 350 with a TH350 transmission.

Transmission has leaked out of the connection of the fill tube/transmission since i bought it.

I tried a new rubber o ring - still leaks. The "top hat" did not fit properly, i had to shorten it and it still leaked.

The dipstick is made from two different sticks riveted together with two different colors of steel. So i dont know what i really have.

I bought this from EBAY,

[​IMG]

This was too loose in the transmission hole.

I would like one shorter than the 27" ones i see on ebay so it does not stick out so far into the engine compartment. Any one know of a stick/tube that is shorter? If not, just buy any 27" TH350 stick/tube and it should work?

I know i could cut it and shorten it.

Thanks again

2. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

Pretty easy to find an orig steel one ,paint them black and they kinda blend in , as opposed to that there ^^

3. oj

oj

I'd use a stock one from an old impala or chevelle. When I have a recurring trans leak at the dipstick I find its quicker and easier to bite the bullet and take the pan off, then you can see what its doing from the inside and even rtv it once you get the area clean enough. You can also see how far the dipstick goes into the pan on modified dipsticks.

4. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Sometimes the dipstick leak is the kick down cable seal leak.

5. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

There are two kinds of GM Turbo 350's. 1, those that leak. And 2, those that will leak.
    Sorry, no real tips to offer, just a little humor.

6. squirrel

squirrel

This is the type I would use, although getting one that fits with your existing firewall can be a challenge. If you had a solid metal one that fit, but was pieced together, you might be able to start with a new metal one, and piece it together better, then shorten the dipstick as needed (first take a picture of where the end of the dipstick is, relative to the end of the tube). If you do piece it together, you have to make sure the bends will be on the same plane, so the dipstick will be able to go into the tube. And you'll have to carefully weld the pieces together, preferably using TIG, or maybe with a torch, so it doesn't leak. MIG welding a small diameter thin wall tube is really difficult.

Note this one does not use an O ring, it uses a sleeve, which is a damn good way to prevent leaks.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-702212/overview/

Hnstray and scrap metal 48 like this.
  7. wheeltramp brian

wheeltramp brian

What squirrel has shown are the only ones I use anymore.they DONT leak and they lock

8. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

Do your self a favor and don't buy a chrome one. I'm talking the sick, not the tube

squirrel likes this.
  9. Ben Chirco

Ben Chirco

OK. thanks for the help. I will buy the Summit one.

10. We used a new one from GM. Cut it used heat shrink to hold it together. Fitted it. Cut it. Heat shrink again. Also on. When it fit good we cut away some of the shrink and had it tigged then fitted it again. Then welded it up. Shortened the stick the right amount. Worked fine.

Hnstray likes this.
  11. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

The one you off will leak for sure, never seen one that didn't. Get a good steel on with the top hat seal not the o ring.

12. I used a new GM tube and dipstick. Cut the top off the tube at a spot just above the support bracket. Then chopped the dipstick with a cold chisel and brazed it together reducing length by amount cut off tube.

Phil

i.rant likes this.
  13. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

I used a piece of 3/4 in. soft copper. Not sure if it was tube, o.d or pipe, i.d.. the stock o-ring is used
    Bent to fit my 32, stock dip stick worked as designed. No leaks, I mean none, nadda, sbc not so lucky, that bastard leaked since install

14. Ben Chirco

Ben Chirco

Where would I find a genuine GM tube? None on EBAY,

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
  15. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

The handle on my Turbo 350 dipstick is missing so I bought a "universal" tube/handle at Daytona just to use the stick. It was probably six inches shorter than the one I have so that didn't work. I guess I'll just keep searching .

16. wuga

wuga
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I bought one at Carlisle, it leaked. I bought one on EBAY, it leaked. Thought I was saving money, but the headache pills cost more. Bought a Lokar (Lokar XTD-3350400FM), it is flevible so no firewall worries, fits well into transmission and is sealed well at both ends so no leaks. Was worth every penny. I also found that on the two cheaper units, it was difficult to insert the stick all the way.

Warren

olscrounger likes this.
  17. Ben Chirco

Ben Chirco

I bought the Lokar TD-3350400FM. I started the car and ran it for a while no leaks. Very satisfied. Thanks for tall the help. Who knows what the previous owner had installed.

olscrounger likes this.