Register now to get rid of these ads!

replace one lifter? (Ford FE)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by B Ramsey, Aug 22, 2013.

1. B Ramsey

B Ramsey

So i bought an (off topic) '69 F250 with a (on topic)390. been sitting for about 10 years. last guy had it running while squirting gas into carb. so far ive went thru the whole fuel system, and put together a good holley 600 for it. i got it running under its own devices. found that it had a dead cylinder, pulled the valve cover off (right side) and found a mess of pushrods. the intake valves were stuck. i got them freed up. ordered a new set of pushrods. looked down at lifters and saw one that was apart. got it all out with a magnet. the little clip is bent so wont hold it together. the way i see it i have 3 options:
    1. buy new lifter and install that one. not sure if need to break it in or?
    2. buy new lifter and take the clip off, and put old one back together and run it.
    3 ??

what says the elders?

2. BOBCRMAN

BOBCRMAN
    from Holly

Find an old engine shop.. They will probably give you a new/used clip. Or go to a well stocked hardware and buy the same size internal snap ring.

Do not replace one lifter on a used cam..

3. 2racer

2racer

2. buy new lifter and take the clip off, and put old one back together and run it.

no worries about flattening the cam lobe that way

4. B Ramsey

B Ramsey

snap ring.. Hmmm. i like that idea. less than a dollar. thanks guys!

if i cant find one, the local store has a lifter, $4.99.

5. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Gets my vote..You are lucky as if I remember right you can't get just any lifter out in an FE...On the other hand I replaced all the lifters in a 302 without any issue on a 60k engine.....