Register now to get rid of these ads!

Repairing pin hole leaks in gas tanks (?)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Missing Link, Feb 10, 2004.

1. Missing Link

Missing Link

Looks like I have a small pin hole leak in my gas tank. It looks to be a fresh leak and looks to be from a stone, pebble, rock, squirrel, small child with a pointy head, beer bottle, ricer, or something, hitting the bottom of the tank. I know that the local auto place sells all sorts of different stuff to repair small leaks in gas tanks, but what have any of you all used in the past to make this repair? Good or bad, I would like to know what you recommend or not recommend. Replacing the tank is out of the question right now. Dropping the tank is definately not in the cards if I can avoid it. The rest of the tank looks good inside and outside. There is currently a small amount of gas in the tank that could easily be siphoned. Any recommendations would be welcome.

2. Devcon makes some good putty specifically for gas tanks.

3. BELLM

BELLM

Faucet washer & sheetmetal screw, bar of soap. Used both numerous times on my 36 Ford PU 40 yrs ago. Kept bar of soap in the truck, if that didn't stop the leak went to screw/faucet washer. I was 16 then. [​IMG]
    Today I would clean it up real good put some JB Weld on it

4. Sean

Sean

Not a long term solution to your problem, but if you need a quick repair to get you back home, Tootsie Rolls work great! Chew'em up a little and seal the leak.

5. Bugman

Bugman

6. racer5c

racer5c

I know I'm gonna get some shit for this post BUT I watched Sheldon Kinser way back in the day weld on a gas tank in a car BUT here is how he did it he ran a hose from the exhaust to the filler neck in the gas tank and let the car run for a while before he welded it, and while he was welding it. Scared me but he said if there isn't any oxygen then ya can't catch fire. NOW I AM NOT ADVISING ANYONE TO TRY THIS all I am saying is I saw it done.

7. A quick dab of body filler works too

8. macs55

macs55

I bought a cheep Taiwan tank for my panel over the summer and have had 3 diff holes, leaks in it. I just found one today and what I use is a putty called QUICK STEEL. That works great. I just put it on a few minuites ago. I tried the stuff for gas tanks but it was just crap. This stuff works great. My first hole was about an 1/8" hole and I used this stuff and have never had a problem with it, adn it's been on there since past summer. My friend has a 54' ford truck and the drain plug was ripped out of the tank. He used this stuff and it's been about a year now and still works. Good luck. I got the stuff at Kragen.

9. macs55

macs55

The problem with body filler is that the gasoline eats through it eventually.

10. my tank was jb welded when i bought it and its still holding and i got the car over 2 years ago kyle

11. Missing Link

Missing Link

Thanks for the replys gents. I have some JB Weld in stock. I will try that first. I will drain the tank prior. Thanks again.

12. spudshaft

spudshaft

I took mine to a radiator shop and had it dipped and a liner put in it. More expensive (about $80) but I feel like I don't have to worry about it