Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Repairing an abused & wrecked 5-window coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rocket's Hot Rod Garage, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Hear that!

Suppose to end up Maroon? '40 Fordish maybe?

paintslinger805 and koolkemp like this.
  2. uncle buck

uncle buck

looks like some nice work going on over there

spyke-52 likes this.
  3. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Glad no one was seriously hurt. Cars can be fixed or replaced a lot easier than ppl. Looks great so far.

4. Maroon would look good. I like the idea and it won't look like everyone's color black.

5. weemark

weemark
    from scotland

the repairs look really good. its a little ironic the cars going to be better now than it was before, im looking forward to seeing the finished article.

6. sololobo

sololobo

Excellent repairs on s WAY cool hot rod. I am so pleased the folks had no injuries in this crazy crash.

7. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Glad noone was hurt.
    It's refreshing to see a shop which does such fine work.

8. Thanks again guy.

We moved onto the front A pillars. These where repairs we weren't planning on doing at first. Once we removed the drip rail a bunch of lead had to come off from the A-pillar (front of drip rail was leaded over). This is an idea of the past rough life the car had. The customer said his windshield never fit right so we decided the repair both sides....

IMG_3027.JPG IMG_3085.JPG IMG_3086.JPG IMG_3090.JPG

catdad49 likes this.
  9. Some donor A-pillars we got from our friend @el Roach . saved the day.

Donor Pillars.JPG

RDE likes this.
  10. weemark

weemark
    from scotland

those old front windshield post are really rough - is that just the result of a bad chop at some point in the cars history?

11. We think it was a little of both. Car might have been on it's top at some point in its life & a very rough chop hidden in lead. It's a mess!

weemark likes this.
  12. el Roach

el Roach
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Glad I could help out with the A pillars. Riley and the boys at Rockets garage are total professionals! They do metal magic with the best of them! Keep up the great work fellas. :D

koolkemp likes this.
  13. Thanks for the endorsement Rick!

14. Cut out all the old junk, removed inner header panel, separated the new donor A-pillars & cleaned 'em up. Repaired the driver side dent over the windshield & built a new section for nasty spot where header meets A-pillar.

IMG_2934.JPG IMG_3022.JPG IMG_3028.JPG IMG_3030.JPG IMG_3029.JPG

15. weemark

weemark
    from scotland

that's 100 times better than what was there previously.

16. H380

H380
    from Louisiana

Looks great. That work was needed badly. If you do not mind could you tell us how many shop hours the repairs took to complete the metal work after you get there. You don't need to go into the money or material. Just the ballpark billed hours.

17. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Looking mighty fine.Glad no one was hurt.Was the truck driver ever found?
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

czuch likes this.
  18. mike bowling

mike bowling

Haven't been back since you started the thread ( and I wondered why so much sheet metal was being replaced with new). Now that the old girl's makeup is coming off, I totally understand your thread title!

Nice work, Gentlemen! ( and ladies if that may be the case!)

19. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

First of all glad the folks were not hurt.

Great workmanship on this project. Saving them one at a time, that is a good thing.

20. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There appears to be a ton of pics missing between that of the roof top quarter being a piece of sheet metal and the finished part awaiting fitting. Enquiring minds need to know!

Great work and thanks for bringing us all along.

Chris

21. nice artist craftmans ship there ... keep up the good work

22. F-head

F-head

WOW nice work

23. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

Man that was a lot of Lead, what a hack job. When I first saw the pictures before repairs it did not look to bad but it was covering a really rough work. You made the right decision to replace than repair. Just think what the left 1/4 is hiding.
    As for after market parts they have been around almost as long as cars. Fosterier made fenders for T and A and early cars. They came already painted black and wrapped in craft paper ready to install. Knowing this how many of us have aftermarket parts on our car and don't even know it?
    Late model cars are often repaired with aftermarket parts, JUST READ YOUR INSURANCE POLICY. The require it. Happy Motoring. Frank

24. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Wow, this is going to be a much better car when you're finished. Very nice work, guys!

25. Thanks again guys for all the kind words. We're glad we're able to fix it right and it really is going to be a much better car when it's done. The owner is now motivated to do a few other improvements! Mike, my main sheet metal guy is responsible for the great finish work on the quarter window and A-pillar job.

Here's a few more pictures of the part. Sometimes it's a little hard to capture in progress stuff...

IMG_3106.JPG IMG_3105.JPG IMG_3104.JPG

It was all done using a shrinker/stretcher, sandbag & chisel.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
    Tim, brEad, chryslerfan55 and 6 others like this.
  26. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

I would have said a talented craftsman! Great job guys!

27. We went about the A pillar a little different than most. We modified and fit the outer skin first. Then did part of the inner structure & went back and finish welded the inner structure from inside out last. I'll try to do my best to explain along the way.

Fitting & modifying the skin.

IMG_3102.JPG IMG_3023.JPG IMG_3025.JPG
    I forgot to show the old hacked A-pillars after they where cut out.
    IMG_3032.JPG

28. weemark

weemark
    from scotland

on the original pillar it looks like they have tried to lean the top of it back a little but left the bottom half stock. Or instead of leaning it back it may just be the roof was a little short because of the chop and they had to match the top and bottom someone so its just the way they tried to bridge the gap.

loudbang likes this.
  29. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

This looks like it will be better than what was under Henry's paint job. Impressive work to say the least.

30. el Roach

el Roach
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's cool Riley, a little different approach on the A pillars! You guys ROCK!