Register now to get rid of these ads!

Repairing a door handle spline?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by drdave, Oct 24, 2012.

1. Anyone have any ideas on repairing the spline inside a door handle? Obviously, finding a new handle with a good spline is the number one choice. However, I recently had the inner door handles for my '51 Merc rechromed starting with the best set I could find. Yesterday, the spline on the driver's handle bid it's last goodbye. I'd love to fix it since the chrome is brand new. I thought about sleeving it with a new spline, but have not found such an animal. Second to that I thought about cutting some undercuts on the inside then filling it with JB Weld or the like and sliding it back onto the greased shaft (so I can get it back off of course). Not sure "new" JB Weld splines would hold up. Anyone, anyone?

2. goose-em

goose-em
    from Louisiana

This may not be the best way and if you don't like it then don't use it but I have, in the past, fixed this problem as follows, sorry no photos:

using a thin file I cut a slot in the male side, how deep and long depends on what you think will work without ruining the whole operation.

Then I cut a slot in the femals side. (keyway)

I then add a key and make sure it fits by test fitting.

Then you simply epoxy the key into one side or the other and slip on your door handle.

Door handle works, and it is removable.

3. That is a fantastic idea!! Thank you!