Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Repair or rebuild?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by revkev6, Nov 17, 2015.

1. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

hey guys, a month or so ago I pulled my 28 roadster out to hit a nice little fall show in town. she's been together since 1992 with very little work required. well, when I fired up the 8ba to hit this show down the street I noticed a bit of white smoke in the exhaust and a hint of sweet antifreeze.... she's pushing a head gasket....

so here's my dilema... the car was built by my father and uncle when I was a kid... it's got a couple of issues that I've been meaning to fix but I've been waiting until I finish my 32 to tear down the 28... it's white with mint green (yes I said 1992 earlier) running gear. The green is peeling off the motor, faded and the running gear is leaking worse than typical early ford at this point. oh, and the modified cowl tank weeps a bit. it's got 2 97's and a mallory dizzy. which I rebuilt about 10 years ago. Runs pretty good, only thing it really could use is the carbs gone through again and the valves run.

it's winter so I have time to pull the motor before spring, regasket it, repaint and reassemble... but I'd rather spend the time with the 32 and just slap the head gasket on it...

btw, what's the best gasket out there these days?? out of morbid curiosity I'm going to check the cranking pressure to see how bad she is.

2. Finish the Deuce,It's no fun when life gets in the way and spring rolls around and you have 2 cars not running. HRP

volvobrynk and -Brent- like this.
  3. rtsidejohnny

rtsidejohnny

Yep, throw a head gasket on the 28 to keep it going and work on your deuce! When the 32 is on the road, THEN tear into the 28.
    My opinion, Johnny

firstinsteele and volvobrynk like this.
  4. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

alright... I'm not crazy then...

give me some thoughts on the best gasket for a very mild 8ba with edelbrock heads :Bc:

5. Depends how bad the gasket is.
    I've seen that blue devil stuff fix and buy alot of time for the effort.

6. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

so, no pics?

volvobrynk likes this.
  7. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Fel-Pro or Best ...

8. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

nothing great...

any particular type?? copper or composite?? 20151116_173531[1].jpg

9. oj

oj

It probably is copper now, I'd retorque and see what happens.

10. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

This motor had been in the car for 22 over years.... I'm guessing it's time for a gasket.. probably should do both