Register now to get rid of these ads!

Removing undercoating the easy way

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by iamflashman, May 3, 2011.

1. iamflashman

iamflashman

Harbor Freight has a new tool that made my life MUCH easier.

They now sell a mini needle scaler.

I got the idea to use a needle scaler to remove undercoating after using an air hammer one time and allowing it to "slap" the undercoating off of a wheel well and always hoped there was a better tool.

Then one day I was at HF and saw the mini needle scaler. This thing is an absolute miracle. I removed all undercoating under my fender in less than 1 hour and it does NOT damage the paint underneath.

Just hold the needle scaler at about a 30 degree angle and work it just like a scraper. Make sure to wear goggles and ear protection as this tool is stinkin loud!

I uploaded a quick video to flickr of it in action for the disbelievers out there.

Note the video was done on my cell phone while holding the tool in one hand. The tool works much better with both hands applying pressure but you get the point...

Here is a pic of the finished product. I know, I know, I should have taken a before but I forgot! I honestly did not expect such awesome results or I would have.

[​IMG]
    1957 Ford Ranch Wagon by iamflashman, on Flickr

Here is the video:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/97922647@N00/5685292569/

Last edited: May 3, 2011
  2. Which scaler is this, the $20 or the $45 model ?

3. iamflashman

iamflashman

This is the $20 model

4. cowboy1

cowboy1
    from Austin TX

U Da Man. Thanks for the post! It came at a great time for me.

5. iamflashman

iamflashman

Another note: The trick is to catch the edge of the undercoating. That may be obvious but it is worth stating.

6. sdbcivic

sdbcivic
    from West Ga.

i was at my local harbor freight last week and had one in my hand and didn't get it. oh well i needed an excuse to go back. i think they had it for 12.99 on sale

7. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

Eastwood has a spray on coating that eats the stuff right off. Let it sit for 10 minutes and then scrape it right off. I might try the Harbor Freight thing too though. Thanks for the tip.

8. iamflashman

iamflashman

A combo of the two would probably work great. Some of the softer undercoating leaves a residue that I just cleaned off with wax and grease remover but the eastwood stuff may work even better.

9. How did it work on the softer/gooier stuff, I'm doing the underside of my '62 right now but mine doesn't seem as "dry" as the stuff in your video. I think I'll be heading there this afternoon to pick one of those up anyway, it can't hurt.

Has anyone ever heard of using oven cleaner ?

10. iamflashman

iamflashman

It did work for the gooier stuff as well but not as fast. The front of the fenders around the headlight bucket was 1/2 thick gooey stuff.

It actually took that off pretty fast but I had to stop every so often and clean the needles. The needles would get stuck together and become less effective.

I would recommend using this tool "dry" before applying chemicals. The harder the undercoating, the better it works.

Where I did the gooey stuff, I followed up with wax and grease remover and it clean up the residue.

11. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

I used the same thing last December on my firewall and frame rails, it worked great!http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=540699
    I ended up using their air scraper $20 for the back of my front fenders. I plan on camping out under what's left of the original floor pans with the scaler though.

12. Truckedup

Truckedup

I use this tool,a wife.Also cooks and keeps me warm and happy :D

[​IMG]

13. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

Great post. I have tried the Eastwood remover and it did not take the undercoating off without a lot of scrapping. I am headed to Harbor Freight!

14. nickleone

nickleone

The PRO Rally comunity uses liquid nitrogen. It freezes the undercoat and when you hit it with a hammer or chipper hammer it falls off in big chunks. They have a vessel that is transfered from person to person by freight and they get it filled at a local welding supply.
    Nick

15. thaugen

thaugen

How would this tool work on old Bondo, where yahoo put way too much on?

16. atomickustom

atomickustom

For bondo you want a propane torch and a scraper - heat it up and it'll all fall off in big chunks with just a little prying.

17. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

Thats how I do it. No sanding, dust, or bondo boogers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. plywude

plywude
    Member Emeritus
    from manteca ca

I've posted this before, so here goes again use KINGSFORD charcol lighter fluid this stuff dissolves under coating, pour it on wipe it off, My wagon was bought new by an apple grower in Napa, Ca from Gasser Motors, kool name, she lived down a dirt road and took the wagon back to the dealer every month or so to have them under coat it again so that she would not have to put up with the dust from her road well after many years of that this crap was 1/2' or thicker on my frame and under the hood a friend told me about Kingsford I asked him if I needed to light a match after puting it on, told me not to do that just soak it down wipe it off, worked like a charm, and it's dirt cheap.........................:D

19. Very cool!!! Thanks!:cool:

20. i may just have to pick one up at HF heading there this afternoon.