Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Removing the tweed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by junkyardjeff, Feb 16, 2019.

1. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I done the interior of my 37 Chevy p/u in the late 90s and got caught up in that tweed craze and slowly grew tired of it,been wanting to change it for the last ten years so early this week I got the material to do it and now I a doing it. Those trucks all came with a dark brown interior so its going dark brown with red accents,all the metal panels are going to get painted a wrinkle finish paint and definately get sound deadening this time. I just hope I can get paint to stick to those metal parts.

Attached Files:

Tim and Jim Bouchard like this.
  2. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

I have a 3w with a beautiful tweed interior done by a guy in Colo. who is still in business. I just don't have the heart to remove it when it is still nice. I hope the style comes back in before I pass on.

vtx1800, scotty t and VANDENPLAS like this.
  3. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Tweed will cycle back just like everything else

62rebel and Fordor Ron like this.
  4. I've got tweed in my avatar. My interior is still in very good conditions and I do like the comfort factor, but it's pretty damn boring looking....

And are all of them off white/gray? I don't think I've ever seen one in a actual color.

5. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I will not participate again if it comes back,the tweed I put in was hard to keep clean so its going to get vinyl this time. I put it in a 53 Olds before I done the 37 and it looked good in the 53 but it just did not look right in the truck so I am going with a more traditional look. I just did not want to paint all the interior panels in the 37 back then and I thought the tweed would give it a more comfy feeling along with the seats that I tried to make look like a over stuffed couch that ended up making it too hard to drive.

6. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Got an acre of tweed here in my 37. It’s a light brownish grey. Haven’t yet worked out what to replace it with. Or how.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Could be worse you could have crushed velvet from the early 70's.
    While the damned tweed will get dirty I have never seen a rod with a tweed interior with ragged seats. That stuff is industrial strength and then some.

8. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

It looks like this project will snowball,took off the panel above the windshield and now is the time to get the wiper working so now going to look up another wiper motor.

9. Latigo

Latigo

Didn’t know tweed had fallen out of favor. But then I live in La Pine Oregon. We’re a little out of touch with the latest trends. I was going to do tweed but got a good deal on some vinyl material. Whew! That was close. Would have been embarrassing.

49ratfink and scotty t like this.
  10. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Not sure when my car was done the first time, but they went with all vinyl. Kinda glad they did, it survived sitting all those years where the carpet didn't, it rotted. Only thing is it's hot as hell in the summer even though it's a light gray color. Won't mind that as bad when I get AC.....

11. My '51 Olds has a two tone green tweed, it's still in excellent condition so I'm gonna have to live with it for the time being. But damn, white tuck n roll would sure look killer!

8.jpg
    10.jpg
    11.jpg

Fordor Ron and Latigo like this.
  12. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

I say leave the tweed on the seat and simply cover it with the vinyl....that way you will never get a tattered seat.

Tim likes this.
  13. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I might have to rethink this project,as I was removing the paint from the panel above the windshield I noticed its not that smooth. I think some panels were deeply pitted and since I really do not want to smooth them out so they might get covered again or its going to take me much longer then I thought. Its amazing what one forgets when 20 years go by.

14. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Going to remove the tweed from the rest of the metal parts and determine the condition,I hate to admit it but if they are a pitted mess I might have to look to a dark brown tweed that matches the dark brown vinyl to recover them in. There will not be tweed covering everything like I done before,headliner will be dark brown foam backed like in newer vehicles and the headliner and windlace trim will be painted and the front kick panels will be in vinyl to match the seat. I was going to paint the panels in a wrinkle finish so it might not show the defects in the metal and will try it before going back to a tweed.

15. indyjps

indyjps

How about a light texture and shoot your matching interior paint over it. Look at gravitex by UPOL. Its a rocker panel spray similar to bedliner but far less chunky, you can topcoat it.

Hnstray, Tim and scrap metal 48 like this.
  16. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

So far its just the header panel that is pitted so if thats the only panel affected I can smooth it but I have not removed the material from the door panels yet and they might be the last parts I do on the interior,the metal panel around the rear window looks great along with the cab corner panels.

17. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I will look into that if the door panels are severely pitted.

18. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

It is done for now.

Attached Files:

19. I hope not. HRP

20. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There are a lot of great broadcloth patterns/colors out there from the 50's and are overlooked. I like your pickup because they were trucks and look great with vinyl.
    I took photos of a lot of cars using a combo of vinyl and broadcloth in cars before I choose what I wanted it to look like. SMS will send samples of what you find by looking at different car interiors they have photos (100's)... Good luck.

21. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I was hoping to find a 50s cloth but never could find a car at a show that had what I liked so I could see it and then try to find it,I lost my job and after I got started and I had to finish it cheap so it went all vinyl. I will still look at original 50s cars to find a cloth I like and then maybe down the road redo the seat again when I have more money to do it.

22. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Looks good !

23. I HATE tweed, it was one of the factors of me hating hot rods growing up (80's-90's). Everything I have has vinyl in it or original cloth....and the future cars too. Thank the car gods for vinyl tuck n roll, pleats, diamonds pattern and old cloth (and the little books).

My .02 :)

BTW the truck looks good.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2019
    slayer likes this.
  24. just say no to tweed ( ie office furniture) .. no tweed for me ! 36inter4.jpg

sidevalve8ba and 49ratfink like this.
  25. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I still have to deal with the tan carpet I put on the firewall but that will be next winters project,its starting to get warm and want to play some.

26. I'm in the middle of a dark brown vinyl interior in my old beater. HRP

[​IMG]

ffr1222k, Fordor Ron and catdad49 like this.
  27. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

28. I guess I should be happy my PO didn't glue tweed to all the garnish moldings like some did... LOL

David Gersic likes this.
  29. All one color, I'm trying to simulate the style of the original simple interior while using a more user friendly material, I just couldn't go with cloth, this car is never going to be a show boat and I will still drive it in all kinds of weather.

With the vinyl I can leave the windows down and not worry about it being in a windy & dusty area, the brown vinyl will be easy to keep clean. HRP

30. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

jyjeff, I've shown mine before, correct broadcloth wrong patten for this model car. image.jpeg image.jpeg