Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Removing the side shift forks from the ford 3 speed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SIKNER51, May 28, 2020.

1. SIKNER51

SIKNER51

i'd like some info on what i have to do to remove the side shift forks and levers so i came made it a top loader 3 speed with the t-150 shifter does the trans have to be taken apart or whats the steps that need to be taken thanks Steve

2. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Assuming that you are talking about converting a Ford toploader to a top shift using the Jeep top cover, then the trans has to be stripped down to get the shift fork shafts and shit levers out of the case. You need to plug those holes and in some cases need to grind a bit of clearance in the top of the case for the top shift forks. So best is to do a complete tear down, modify, and reassemble.

3. deucemac

deucemac

I had no problem converting mine without complete disassembly. It was tight but doable. The Trans has to be on the bench because the shift shafts come out from the front and rear of the case. Once each shaft is out, you can rotate the shift fork and remove it. Be careful not to drop any of the detents because they may fall into the case and be hard to retrieve. You will also need plugs and Welch plugs to seal the two shift shaft and shift fork arm holes.

4. SIKNER51

SIKNER51

Thanks for the info guess i'll get started on it.

5. SIKNER51

SIKNER51

Thanks i got to pull the trans today just looking at it that what i thought just want someone that had did it info thanks