Register now to get rid of these ads!

Removing the nasty adhesive under a headliner

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Frankie Von Dell, Feb 12, 2010.

1. Frankie Von Dell

Frankie Von Dell

Help! I'm going crazy trying to scrape the stuff off with a putty knife, and my orbital sander won't cut through it either. I thought about buying a bunch of goof off to see if that would cut through the adhesive. Does anyone have any tips for getting it off?

2. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

Real headliners do not have glue

3. What are you working on???????

4. KrisKustomPaint

KrisKustomPaint

shouldn't have to get the glue off just the foam.

5. Tri-Power

Tri-Power
    from Memphis

It's probably foam and glue residue. Use a wire brush, the hand type, not the type on a drill. It's messy, but won't take too long.

6. slicksona66

slicksona66
    from Lincoln Ne

Clean Strip makes a pretty strong gum & adhesive remover, might be strong enough might not. I found not being chinsy with the ap and lettin it sit the advised amount of time got off some really old and hard headed stuff. Later

7. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

is it gooey..or crusty?

8. Acme Speed Shop

Acme Speed Shop
    from so cal

Try a product called "Orange Peel". It is an adhesive remover that seems to work on everything. Prepare to smell like citrus for a few days.

9. Frankie Von Dell

Frankie Von Dell

I guess I didn't explain that very well, its the adhesive underneath the fabric headliner, its the original headliner, so yes its a real headliner. I removed all the fabric and peeled off all the cardboard backing and now there is a gooey nasty adhesive left....It's not coming off! It gums up wire brushes and rolac pads etc.

10. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I think 3M makes an adhesive remover..ive never been disapointed by their products if used correctly

11. Frankie Von Dell

Frankie Von Dell

cool! thanks! Just wanted some insight before I went buying up the whole chemical isle.

12. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

if its that black tar stuff then I use a long heavy duty paint scraper that you can get both hands on. It helps if its cold too so it flake off and doesn't gum up so bad. It takes lots of elbow grease.

13. You never did say what kind of vehicle you messin with....coz if you tore the cardboard backing,you will not have anything to reglue new headlining up with...and better use a damn good glue as the heat from the roof in summertime will turn it all loose again

14. Frankie Von Dell

Frankie Von Dell

Oh sorry! it's for my 59 biscayne. I'm actually not planning on putting a new headliner back up, I was gonna paint the bare metal anyway so I want as much residue gone as possible.

15. KrisKustomPaint

KrisKustomPaint

I do upholstery but I've never done a 59 biscayne but I would think that these would have a suspended headliner (with bows), I've also never heard of any material with a cardboard backing. Headliner material only comes in two types- vinyl for suspended headliner or foam backed cloth. Can you take some pictures? I'd like to see what your working with.

16. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

What he is talking about is the sound deadener pads and adhesive like they used also on doorskins and quarters in the passenger compartment.

17. KrisKustomPaint

KrisKustomPaint

Ooohhh I see. that makes sense.