Register now to get rid of these ads!

removing stock sound deadner

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 66 kustom C-10, Aug 5, 2010.

1. 66 kustom C-10

66 kustom C-10

sure its been a topic before, but i searched with no matches found. Looking for a easy or easier way to remove the nasty ol tar crap off the floor of my old pick'up. Any one?

2. Easy way???? Braw Ha Ha Ha.....
    I don't think there IS an easy way, so lets examine the next best thing:

Effective ways... Well, here I can help.

On the factory original tar based undercoating, like the gunk used in the 1950's I use a heat gun and putty knife. Let the heat do the work softening it and then scrape it once it is soft. After this the thick layer will be gone, but LOTS of residue will be left behind. This is when I get out the WD40 and soak down. I buy it in gallon jugs and apply it with a brush. Then scrub with a wire brush, scotch brite pads and rags. After this you will need to aggressively degrease everything with wax and grease remover.

Good luck, It's an awful job.

Hope this helps,
    Greg

3. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

I go the other way. A block of dry ice, and a pneumatic gasket scraper. It takes it right down the the original paint. It pops off in big pieces.

4. I also use a pneumatic gasket scraper. (With thick gloves and a face shield.)

This reminds me, I always go over the tarred areas with a scraper first, removing any of the loose parts first.

5. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

Dry Ice pellets , from BOC gases [ bring your own cooler ]

I stripped a whole BWM in a couple of hours [ if you leave it on long enough ,you can hear it cracking . then use a wallpaper or bog scraper ]

My misses threw a fit when I used her kitchen spatula [ or whatever those kitcheny things are called ]

6. 66 kustom C-10

66 kustom C-10

7. you wont like this but gas with a good soke and some elbo power will cut it fast. did the floor in the 52 and the 57 this way.

8. CrkInsp

CrkInsp
    from B.A. OK

Dry Ice. I've used it. It's easy.
    Put it on, let it set for about 8-10 min. Tap with a small mallet. Pick up the pieces. Vacum up the litte pieces. You will have all but the hard to get to places.

9. Deuces

Deuces

Ever lay a copper penny on a block of dry ice??? :) It screams! :D

10. Thorkle Rod

Thorkle Rod

What's a copper penny? I hear they used to make those?

11. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

Cup of diesel and a scraper.

12. I'm with TexasHardcore, 'cept it was kerosene (basically the same thing). Messy, messy, messy... It'll be like when you use anti-seize; when you're done it'll be absolutely everywhere...;)

13. billsill45

billsill45
    from SoCal

Mineral spirits (paint thinner), scraper, red or black Scotchbrite. Mineral spirits are less flammable and nasty than gasoline and worked as well for me.

14. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

A friend was managing my project for me [ sucking back a beer,while I was doing all the hard work.]
    He was complaining about the free beer being too warm, so I threw one in the dry ice for him [ it froze in less than a minute ] as in frozen solid

I can't seem to satisfy free-loaders these days