Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Removing spindle bushing question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flip, Sep 11, 2016.

1. flip

flip

Wondering what methods some of you use in taking out old spindle bushings. Want to replace them and new king pins. Thanks in advance.

2. bct

bct

I machined a piece of round stock to hammer them out and in . I made a mandrel to hold them and machine to the right size ......don't try that. still looking for an early ford reamer

3. jailhousebob

jailhousebob
    from Illinois

They are thin enough that you can just get a screwdriver between the bushing and spindle bore and kind of pry it towards the center of the bore.Then just drive it out with a drift or large bolt.They actually come out pretty easy.Bob

Mr48chev likes this.
  4. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

I found the tool on the electronic auction site--old tool appears hardly ever used & was pretty cheap too.

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Takes just a short bit of time to saw through just the bushing with a hack saw blade and then pop it out easily.
    I'll admit that If I had a lathe I'd machine a driver that had just enough shoulder to drive the old bushings out and another one with a wider shoulder to drive them in.

6. That's what I do, did, have.
    Then I take them to my buddy at the machine shop.
    He hones them with a long mandrel that does both bushings at the same time and they are parallel. Can't assure that with a reamer.

The latest set of spindles was supplied with fitted king pins. One pin was acceptable but the other fit like a hot dog down a hallway. Now both are perfect.

7. Only one of the reasons to traverse the HAMB is to learn new linguistics.
    Like the, "fit like a hot dog down a hallway".
    Damn, that's funeee!
    Thanks. 31Vicky get's the prize this week......

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  8. alchemy

alchemy

I've just used sockets and a vise to remove and replace. I must be a hack. I would take them to the machine shop for reaming, but my brother has since bought a reamer of his own so next time I'll be going to his place.

9. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

i have a jc whitney tool i bought 40 years ago that removes and replaces old bushings and reams the new ones. bet you'd find something on ebay.