Register now to get rid of these ads!

removing shackle bolt from axle

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldskooloutlaw, Jan 16, 2012.

1. oldskooloutlaw

oldskooloutlaw
    from Tulsa

What would be the easiest way to remove rusted in shackle bolt from my 41 axle without a torch ?

2. Doodlrodz

Doodlrodz
    Member Emeritus

Soak the hell out of it every day with PB Blaster and do the Tebow.

3. You could use a mixture of 50/50 ATF and Acetone and spray the perch and let it sit for a week and then take it somewhere where they had a big press.
    Of coures I would just heat it and beat it like everyone else.

4. Blk210

Blk210
    from New Market

you could always drill a hole into the center of it and thread in a grease fitting, then add grease and move it back and forth till it comes loose or inject the hole with PB Blaster. In the end it comes out and then you have a grease fitting for future use.

5. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

haha!:D

I'm assuming you don't have easy access to an Ox/Ac setup?

go to home depot and buy a MAP gas torch for $50... heat the sumbitch up real good, knock it out, and get it over with. If it's really stuck in there, you can soak it all you want to... it's not gonna budge without some heat.

6. peter schmidt

peter schmidt
    from maryland

Maybe a shop press or air hammer? I had to heat mine pretty good maybe find a local welder and do some bargaining for use of his torches?? My friends always bring me beer to use mine.

7. bgaro

bgaro

cut the head and the nut off the bolt with a 4" grinder/cutting wheel, then heat with bernz o matic. hot rubber is real slippery. then hit with a hammer and punch. no fancy tools required.

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Are you trying to remove the shackle bolt from the spring perch or the spring perch from the axle? You are getting instructions for two completely different things.

To get the pin that holds the wishbone to the axle out heat and a big press is probably the best way.

9. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

The ones I have messed with when I was a kid were a bitch, I don't think I could have gotten them out without heat.

The ones I had consisted of a metal sleeve containing the shackle stud wrapped in some hard ass fabric, not rubber, so they were not "self lubricating" when heated.

After beating on these things for a while, I heated the mount good and hot and they came out easy enough.

I remember deciding to stick the new shackle bolt in while the mount was still hot and changing my mind at the last moment, and the new bolt/bushing assy. stuck halfway....

10. silversink

silversink

Be carfull as some of bolts screwed into the shackles along with having a bolt and all the beating will get you nowhere. Hook a screwdriver behind the head of the bolt and unscrew the bolt while putting pressure on the bolt head.

11. Mr.Musico

Mr.Musico
    from SoCal

Im guessing your trying to remove the shackle pin from the spring hanger? I just spent 6 hours on this- heat, penetrating oil, huge hammer, eventually folllowed by drilling it out w small bit and then 3/4 bit. not fun at all.

12. cheveey57

cheveey57

By the look of Sundays performance "the. Tebow" Is not going to do it.

13. Mr.Musico

Mr.Musico
    from SoCal

like the others said, the shackle pin will come apart if you beat on it and leave the shoulder/sleeve inside the hanger. hitting a socket or large bolt through the hanger sometimes will bring it out, otherwise you may need to drill- I dont know any other way

skidsmarks that sounds like it could work.

14. cvstl

cvstl
    from StL MO
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

skidmarks has your answer. On a '41, it should be rubber between the bolt and sleeve. A propane torch may get the rubber hot enough to make it easier to drive the bolt out. If not, you may need a hotter torch to get it started. Once the bolt is out then cut the sleeve carefully with a hack saw and use a hammer chisel to crumple the sleeve and knock it out.

15. oldskooloutlaw

oldskooloutlaw
    from Tulsa

Thanks guys, I'll post up what worked or how much it cost.

16. Rusty Cheese

Rusty Cheese

Plain candle wax, not my idea found it on the HAMB. Works great!!!

17. Tedders

Tedders

18. adam401

adam401
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

the wax works after heat but I used bees wax. I learned this while taking a blacksmith class where they let me disassemble a few front axles with the help of the forge.

Friendly advice, find someone with a torch, everything else will take forever. Its the only way besides a forge that makes sense. Maybe a hamb member can step up for a six pack

19. adam401

adam401
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oops I thought you were talking about the spring perch bolt. Maybe you were, if not disregard

20. indyjps

indyjps

If atf / acetone doesn't work, I try wax next, heat with a propane torch and dribble wax on as it cools, the wax draws to the heat, so try to heat the bolt. I don't have an oxy/ac rig. I've even used johnsons paste wax and an acid brush on a hot bolt. This only takes a few minutes to try.