Register now to get rid of these ads!

removing roll pin in blind hole

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Phil1934, May 26, 2005.

1. Phil1934

Phil1934

I need to get three roll pins out to replace gears on a planetary. They are 5/32 OD. ID is just a hair too small for #6 tap. But too hard to get it to bite. No clearnace at bottom for pick. I started drilling, but slow. Is there a trick or do I just cuss whoever put roll pins in blind holes?

2. monaroau

monaroau

Is it out of the question just to press whatever it is off and shear the pin?

3. Phil1934

Phil1934

Got it. BFH. Just drove out the shafts. Holes are no longer blind so I can drive out roll pin pieces.

4. Flatdog

Flatdog
    Member Emeritus

What they said works for me.What kind of trans are you working on?

5. Phil1934

Phil1934

We have hydraulic 8000 ft lb drill heads mounted on Bobcat skid steer loaders to scre piling in the ground for residential construction.

6. chitbox dodge

chitbox dodge
    from dunlap tn

i was gonna say that you could maybe try the old "grease in the hole" trick.
    it works mainly for bringing out bushings in blind holes but it might work on roll pins too. how it works is , fill up the hole in the center of the bushing / pin, and find a pin punch/bolt/wood dowel that is pretty close to the the inside diameter of the same hole. then hit the driver with a hammer. the grease doesnt compress but will get under the pin/bushing and slowly push it out of the hole.

but the way you did it is effective too, just a little more painful.