Register now to get rid of these ads!

Removing press studs from old helmets

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gasolinescream, May 14, 2012.

1. gasolinescream

gasolinescream

Rescued an old open faced helmet from a dumpster to add to my collection of things to practice my airbrushing on.

I'd like to remove the press studs where the visor would clip to, so i can paint the helmet properly.

Any tips on removal and refitting them?

Many thanks :cool:

2. Without seeing it but looking at some I have, the snaps are just pop riveted on. Drill off the head of the rivet, push out the shank and reinstall it when your done.
    The Wizzard

3. If you have the rubber molding around the edge be very careful removing it...old rubber(s) tear easily and it is very hard to find a replacement. If you do happen to find replacement material please include me on your e-mail list.

4. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Isnt that trim the same as door edge trim? look in a suppliers catalog of stock profiles.

5. Marcosmadness

Marcosmadness
    from California

Use a small punch to knock the shank out before drilling the pop rivet. Removing the shank first makes drilling the pop rivet out easy. The shank, if left in the pop rivet, will tend to deflect the drill bit making the hole larger and the job harder.

6. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

The press studs are cheap ,so grind them off [ drilling can spin them and fuck the fiberglass ]
    If you not gonna wear it re-install with "split rivots" other wise any motor trimmer can help you out. It would be almost too cheap to DIY

I've done this a few times myself [ I'm a trimmer ] but you should not paint polycarbonate helmets if you plan on using them.

Most vintage helmets are glass anyway

My next helmet is gonna be painted in this;
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFnC0q8Rx5Q

It should raise a few eyebrows at tech inpections:D

7. gasolinescream

gasolinescream

Thanks for the tips folks. Looks like a newer helmet. Definatly poly and the lining is fully bonded in place:mad: This means without ripping the crap out of it i can't access the rear of the studs.
    As it's just for shits and giggles this time i'll leave them in place. Not my style of doing things but if it turns out ok it will be having an old bubble visor fitted so you wont see them anyway. It's all practise either way.
    Cheers for the help, when i'm doing it for real i'll know what to do. Just need to find a nice vintage glass one now. Back to the dumpsters:D

8. Why would you have to access the rear ?
    They are blind pop rivets holding the snaps on correct ?
    Pictures would help

9. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

you need a washer backup or eventually the rivit will pull out of the f'glass with use.

10. My next helmet is gonna be painted in this;
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFnC0q8Rx5Q

Wow - what next! Wouldn't you love to do a Corvette in this stuff and take it to a Corvette convention - now THAT should get a comment or two.

11. gasolinescream

gasolinescream

Sorry folks i'm having a senior moment i reckon:D

Looking at the stud from the outside and inside i thought the same as this..........

The rivets i have aren't like the ones fitted but i thought the refit of snap would be to use a rivet from the inside going through the inner washer type part of the snap fitting, poking through the helmet and into the outer part of the fitting. To do this i'd need to access the inner part of the shell. Wouldn't look as pretty as the rivets would be different but would do the job.
    I just can't see how it would be done with leaving the padding in place.
    I couldn't rivet from the outside as the width of the snap fitting is too small the get a rivet gun in and flush on the outer part of the snap fitting.

Here's 2 pics that show what i'm painfully trying to expalin.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I was happy to let this slide but i have to know now, haha what a dumb ass:D