Register now to get rid of these ads!

Removing/Painting Over Galvanized Metal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Muttley, Feb 12, 2006.

1. Muttley

Muttley

I just got a cool repop T tank from side valve that will be going in Pepe's bed. On the back of my trusty can of Rustoleum it says "Do not apply to galvanized metal." Should I ignore the directions like I usually do or remove it and if so how do I go about getting rid of it? Can I just lightly sand and spray it or does it have to be dipped in some type of solution to remove?

2. noboD

noboD

Mutt, most paint will lift on galvanize. Zinc Chromate was always the primer of choice if you can find it. Maybe someone will know if self etch will hold.

3. Meester P

Meester P

Galvanising is a hot metal dip process and the only way I have ever found to get rid of it is to grind it off.
    To paint galv you need to use an etch primer,this is basically an acid and it will eat into the galv and form a key for the paint to stick to.
    But use the etch out side as it will hurt your eyes and lungs if used inside.
    John

4. throttlein

throttlein

I painted a galvanized panel once on a dirt track car and I was told to wipe it down good with vinegar, so that is what I did and it has never peeled...stuck like glue.

5. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Go to this site< http://www.ppgaf.com/ppgaf/special6.htm
    and read about GalvaprepSg. I ahave a gallaon of it sitting on my desk as I type this. I would suggest you sandblast t a practice piece of gal. steel, apply GalvaprepSG, and then paint it. I bought this stuff years ago at an automotive body shop supply store called STEEG.

6. 286merc

286merc
    from Pelham, NH

White vinegar. I use it all the time when patching the floors and body panels of the shitboxes I use for work trucks. Never had one peel either.
    Anything else is too much like work.

Never weld or apply heat to galvy without protection, fumes can kill you mighty fast. Id suspect that sandblasting and grinding is equally toxic.

7. 1BADSLED

1BADSLED

An old tin knocker told me to "PICKLE IT" using white vinegar. Held up very well.

8. Flexicoker

Flexicoker

galvanizing is zinc, which vaporizes at about 1600 degrees... steel melts at 2500. So you could hit it with a torch, as long as you had proper protection, the fumes will make you really sick.

9. Muttley

Muttley

I think I'll try the vinegar thing, it seems the easiest and I'm really lazy.:cool: :D