Register now to get rid of these ads!

removing paint from chrome trim?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by haring, Feb 20, 2004.

1. haring

haring

I have some chrome quarter panel darts that I got from AZ. They are in great condition except for the fact that the car was painted with housepaint and the edges of the trim are slopped with flat blue housepaint. I don't know if it's oil-based or not, but let's assume so.

What is the best way to remove this paint without damaging the chrome itself. The chrome is good and will polish up nicely once the paint is off.

Suggestions?

2. Sinner

Sinner

If it's oil based a long soak in laquer thinner or m.e.k. should take it off. If it's latex based there are latex paint removers available at the hardware store.

3. Laquer thinner and real fine steel wool works on just about anything except latex. For that go to home depot and get the latex paint remover stuff.
    If its chrome or stainless (lets assume that it isn't aluminum) the steelwool won't hurt it. Rub it lengthwise. Be gentle.

4. Rude Dude

Rude Dude

try acetone or lacqure thinner

5. CruZer

CruZer

Try a product called "Goof-off" or another called "Ooppss!"
    Walmart carries them. They are for removing paint from small areas. I use an old tooth brush.

6. whizzerick

whizzerick

Haring, I LOVE discovering a vintage bike that's been covered in house paint: it actually protects the metal underneath.
    I like to use a liberal amount of EASY OFF oven cleaner followed by a fine NYLON scuff pad.
    Fellas, steel wool may be more 'traditional' but leaves steel particules emdedded in the microscopic flaws in the chrome- no good...
    Here is a rare, barn fresh accessory Whizzer fork I found this weekend, along with a pic of the final clean-up.
    Look at that badge!!! Can you believe it was there all along?
    Just my 2 cents worth...

7. haring

haring

Thanks for all the responses. I didn't want to use anything that would damage the chrome.

Whizzer -- you probably already know that EZ-Off is also good for removing anodization from aluminum parts.

8. Don, Klean-Strip's Aircraft stripper is my choice. Fast. Eats paint off of nearly anything. Dissolves bondo and gelcoat. Swells rubber. Nasty stuff. will NOT hurt chrome, glass, metal. $22 gal. at your local O'Reilly's or PB&E store.

mid-tenn mike

9. DrJ

DrJ

I pretend the paint is a vampire and poke at it woth a sharp hardwood stick, after the lacquer thinner soak.
    Steel wool will scratch the very thin chrome off leaving just the nickle to tarnish.