Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Removing old hardened rubber seals

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Murocmaru, Nov 30, 2017.

1. Murocmaru

Murocmaru
    from Van Nuys

I’m currently working on a 28 Ford open car and the rubber seal below the windshield has hardened like old plastic. When trying to remove it, it just breaks off in chips. It is a “T” shaped rubber extrusion that goes into a channel in the windshield frame. How do you guys remove this old rubber from the channel?[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. greybeard360

greybeard360

Hammer, chisel, utility knife, dynamite. Or all of the above. You just have to chip away at it usually.... Ain't old cars fun?

Sent from my Moto G Play using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. That's the way I do it. HRP

4. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

warm with a heat gun.

5. Murocmaru

Murocmaru
    from Van Nuys

Thank you guys, I’ll try all of the above, and give updates

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

6. Murocmaru

Murocmaru
    from Van Nuys

Thank you for the help. I started by heating up the area and that made the rubber soft again. Then it moved a little easier and I’ve been taking it out piece by piece with a screwdriver and the help of soapy water [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

harpo1313 likes this.
  7. If you think it might help to get the rubber softened up a bit, you might try slathering on a generous layer of cream type hand cleaner (like the old GoJo or D&L hand cleaners) and let it soak in for a day or two. The solvents in it will soak into the rubber and some of the cleaners have a bit of lanolin in them which will keep things from drying out. I don't think the citrus based or gritty pumice cleaners will work as well.