Register now to get rid of these ads!

removing ifs adding beam type axle

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rustycarr, Oct 2, 2009.

1. rustycarr

rustycarr
    from TX

how difficult is it to remove a ifs on an old 70's style 1930 coupe and add the traditional style front suspension such as a beam axle? can you just wack it off frame with a torch and add the beam axle setup? example below..looking at this car but i dont care for ifs at all

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 2, 2009
  2. oneratfink57

oneratfink57
    from Wisconsin

not hard at all. its a little time consuming when it comes to measurements for caster and positioning the steering box/ column but i did it to a 1949 chevy business coupe, and im only 19. the 49 had it's factory ifs. we chopped off the spring towers, welded them up and went on our merry way.

Attached Files:

3. Sphynx

Sphynx
    from Central Fl

Need pictures, but we will comend you on fixing your car IFS is for front wheel drive jap cars.:D

4. LOWCAB

LOWCAB
    from Houston

You have more involved than taking the MII stuff off. First it looks to me like the original frame is not even under there. As far as I can see it has been sub framed from just behind the firewall.

5. might look at pickin up a set of rails and buildin a new frame then sell the one you have to some guy thats gotta have IFS

6. rustycarr

rustycarr
    from TX

if memory serves me , it has a 64 impala frame and frontend, didnt really mind the frame part, i just dont like the look of ifs on any thing fenderless, i was going to channel it over the frame anyway if i bought it. thanks

7. rustycarr

rustycarr
    from TX

also an option, not my car yet,just looking and weighin options

8. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

stay away from that car if you want an axle under your HOT ROD.

for as much of the frame that needs to be replaced you'd be better off building a new one.

the 49 above is a whole different deal. the IFS comes off in one big piece and you are left with nice straight frame rails to work with.

9. '54Caddy

'54Caddy

Looks good!

10. Fordguy78

Fordguy78

If it's been subframed, you will probably want to buy or build a new frame.

11. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

It looks like you wouldn't be using the frame; you are buying a pile of parts. Don't pay to much.

Neal

12. oneratfink57

oneratfink57
    from Wisconsin

didnt see the picture when i posted before, i mean, if you dont care if its got the more modern subframe than go for it. But i say build a new subframe and i guess now its a LITTLE bit more complicated if youre building yourself a new set of frame rails but. but in my opinion, with this particular car. i would want original chassis, not even square tubing it myself. but its your call. we're all here behind you (almost 100%!) no matter what you do(with some exceptions):D

13. Someday, that IFS will be "traditional".