Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Removing hub from Buick drum

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 550Coupe, Sep 26, 2014.

1. Can some one tell me the proper way to remove the hubs from my Buick finned drums without damaging them? I have drilled out the rivets but they won't budge. I believe the drums are press fit onto the hubs, so will I need to have a machine shop do this or is there some way I can do this myself? Thanks for the help,

Art

2. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

I've always just knocked them out with a BFH. Usually one good hit and they fall right out- you can put a slab of something on top to help even the force distributed from the blow of the hammer-

Tuck

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Have you knocked or pressed the studs out? The drums are a tight fit on the hubs but I think that the corrosion between the dissimilar metals may be causing most of your problem.

4. No I have not removed the studs, just the rivets. So I need to remove the studs also?

5. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Did you press out the studs? ( back up the flange so you don't bend the drum)

6. Thanks for the info Guys!

7. OK, got the drums off. Now one more question. I have 53' F 100 brakes on the car now. Can I use these hubs with the Buick drums or will I need the car hubs? Thanks again,

Art

8. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

Doesn't the F-100 use an 11 inch drum/backing plate? Think those Buicks are 12 inch.

9. Wooster

Wooster
    from Soso, MS

Do a search here on the HAMB and also Google it. You will find all the different ways to mix and match Buick drums to other hubs and backing plates and such.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

10. I only want to use the hubs. I have Wilson Welding Lincoln brakes to go with the Buick drums. Just want to know if I can use these hubs or need to get something else.

11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've never heard of using the 60 something Buick hubs on any non full size Buick. Can you clarify exactly what what you are attempting to do and what spindle you are using?

We use the Buick finned drums on Ford hubs after redrilling the bolt pattern and I believe that the Wilson Welding Lincoln brake setup is designed to use 40 Ford style hubs.

550Coupe likes this.
  12. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have 45-fin Buick drums, on original Buick hubs (post ball bearing), on my early roundback spindles.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020