Register now to get rid of these ads!

Removing honeydew from paint

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chebby belair, Feb 21, 2010.

1. Leslie Cahill

Leslie Cahill

So you've read through all the replies but nothing works like me. I live in
    Australia where aphid honeydew is rampant. My car is a 2003 jalopy that get hit by honeydew at least once a year. The only thing that gets it off for me is eucalyptus oil applied straight followed by a good shampoo. If the honeydew has turned black and there are stains left after the shampoo, quickly spray then rinse with 50% bleach and water.

2. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Magic Eraser is melamine foam. You may find it as other brand names. You can use it wet or dry. It is an abrasive, so will dull your finish and you’ll need to polish it out afterward.

3. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

It's important to note that the subject is specifically honeydew, which is primarily a sugar water excretion of aphids and some other sucking insects. It is water soluble (as opposed to petroleum solvents), but may take a little soaking to soften.

The suggestion way back to cover with a wet cloth to allow the water to soften and dissolve it, and then wash, is probably the best.

In humid climates if honeydew spots are left on a car for a while black mold will grow on them, causing much more difficulty in removing.

loudbang likes this.
  4. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Assuming the original post is 11 years old, Id hope the guy got his car cleaned, or repainted by now

5. chopped

chopped

I wish he would of told us if anything worked, I've been waiting all these years.

Beanscoot, SDhotrod and X38 like this.
  6. Slopok

Slopok

7. indyjps

indyjps

images (5).jpeg
    Ive used goop (white slimy non abrasive hand cleaner) for years on tar and baked on bugs, apply and let it sit to soften up whatever, rub with soft towel, before you wash. Its not fast, but its also not aggressive and safe, don't apply in direct sun.
    Worth a try, you may already have some on the shelf.

Plastic razor blades are another option, amazon has box of 50 or 100, I've used them to remove graphics and emblem adhesive from OT cars with zero issues.