Register now to get rid of these ads!

removing frozen vintage steering wheel?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by terrafirma66, May 4, 2009.

1. terrafirma66

terrafirma66
    from tampa fla

the steering wheel just 'aint moving off that post. 1947 D21, am using a military style 47 -ish wheel puller and nope not having it even started to mushroom that nut a tad. I'm trying fire tomorow a light heating of the post...or no? Any one have this issue before? Would really like to keep the wheel, doing a straight up resto and more so want that cab off the damned frame, I've got things to do...
    than:cool:x

2. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

I think you would have to heat the wheel, not the post.

3. rodknocker

rodknocker

There's a product called Freeze Off made by CRC, the stuff is amazing,spray it on and let it soak for about 10 minutes, spray it again, and have at it.It actually freezes and cracks the rust.Use this with your puller, and once you have a good amount of pressure on the puller give it a couple of good whacks with a hammer on the end.Good luck

4. Thread the steering wheel nut back on till its flush with the end of the stem (protects the threads on the stem), then give it a few good whacks with a leather or lead filled plastic mallet while it is under tension from the puller.
    If you dont have one of the mallets above, use a small block of wood and a regular hammer.
    Usually a few good whacks and it will pop free.
    Some Kroil or PB Blaster will help also, if the above method doesn't work.
    Let it soak overnight. Then give it a few good whacks using the above method.
    One or the other of these methods has never failed for me.

5. 39 Ford

39 Ford

As said above soak with Kroil put nut on loose and put pressure on wheel while hitting the nut. My only suggestion that is different is do it with 2 guys and have one sit in the vehicle and pull back on the wheel. This allows you to "snap" the wheel back while hitting it. Workd better than a puller.

6. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

You need TWO things at top of shaft...nut level with top, and a mushroom shaped piece of steel that fits into the hole and covers top, preferably with a drilled dent in the top to center puller ram. Anything less invites trouble. Mushroom piece can be a bolt of suitable size.
    Once you have puller screwed down to scary level of tension, use the leverage the wheel itself offers and grab the rim and rock the thing.