Register now to get rid of these ads!

Removing driveline pins

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 13, Jan 28, 2011.

1. I just bought a 1948 banjo and have a question. After removing the torque tube, I wanted to remove the driveshaft, but there's 2 pins holding it in place. I tried using a hammer & drift punch, but they will not budge. I'm hoping for some help here, before I do something wrong & mess it up. And yes. I did try the search button first, with no luck. Thanks...

2. There are2 pins through the coupler, about 5/16" diameter

3. JonF

JonF

i think there are two, but they are tapered and only go out one way. file down both sides so they're flush with the coupler, and put your flat ended punch on the smaller side.

4. dalesdeadbug

dalesdeadbug
    from cincinnati

i used an air hammer on mine with a punch in it and it came right out. question now is what do i do when its time to go back together?

5. I think I understand what you mean; there are 2 pins, but only one needs to come out to remove the coupler from the shaft. And the 1/4" sounds right, because before I ground the heads off, they were mushroomed out a bit. Thanks guys, for the help :)

6. Vergil

Vergil

Don't know if the '48 is the same as a '40 but on my '40 the pin hole is countersunk on each side, when the pin is peened it fills the countersink so the pin head needs to be drilled to get rid of the swaged area then should be able to drive it out.

Vergil

7. Ground both ends, used a 1/4" drift with a ball pein hammer, & out she popped. It was so simple! Thanks fellers, HAMB is the best...