Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Removing Brass Nuts on Old, Rusted Exhaust Manifold Flange Studs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MrCreosote, Sep 28, 2021.

1. MrCreosote

MrCreosote
    from USA

I'm guessing these nuts have been on for 10-20 years. Back back around 1970, I was messing with the factory brass nuts Studebaker used and one of the failures was the stud would pull the threads out of the nut. But this is more indicative of living near Pittsburgh in the RUST BELT.

I know all the tricks to take steel nuts off steel studs - have all the oxy-acetylene gear and experience and methods to create big thermal gradients to cause relative expansion and the shattering of the rust crystals. Paraffin to solve the galling (screeching) problem if encountered.

But with brass I'm not so sure since since developing my skills, I've never dealt with brass nuts on decades old rusted studs.

I just bot the 1800w Bolt Buster and am thinking this may be THE way to do this because if using a torch, it's impossible to heat the stud w/o heating the brass even more. No chance of getting stud glowing using gas - the nut will melt.

My initial plan: (all heating is induction w/Bolt Blaster)
    1. Heat stud for 2x the time to burning oil smoke
    2. Spray cold water from pressurized pump sprayer
    3. Cool to room temp
    4. Repeat 1-3 a few times*
    5. Repeat 1-3 a few times* substituting Free All "rust dissolving" penetrating oil
    6. Repeat 1-3 once and wick paraffin in.
    7. Using impact gun on lowest setting (far below breaking stud of stripping threads) to shatter rust crystals with the impacts.
    * - with every cycle, there should be lessening heat conduction from the stud to the nut, so slowly increase the temp stud is heated to.
    Really need to know other tricks since right now, this is on my only daily driver and I must get the nuts free for the exhaust shop to weld up a stock stainless system. NOTE: If the studs get broken, I'm going to be the one to break them!

And if a stud breaks, I'll have to pull the manifold and probably replace the gasket which also means pulling the intake and yes, there are THREE different gaskets that could be used and YES, they have to be mail ordered.

Thanks in advance,
    Tom

2. I needed to get some ancient brass nuts off the crossover pipe on my '50 Ford. They wouldn't move by hand. I heated them up with the torch until they were glowing red. They all came off with the impact while still hot quite easily. 3 of 4 would have been re-usable.

Boneyard51 and loudbang like this.
  3. squirrel

squirrel

sounds like you have the answer right there!

(unless you need to re use the nuts, for some reason)

David Gersic and 427 sleeper like this.
  4. MrCreosote

MrCreosote
    from USA

Good to know, I was definitely scared to heat them that hot.

What was wrong with the one that couldn't be re-used?

I don't want to use the torch because I'd have to make all kinds of heat shields to protect 3 plastic covered cables right in the vicinity.

It sounds like I can "go nuts" with the Bolt Blaster because it will take a lot of heat conduction from the stud to get the nut glowing.

One thing I liked when "torching off" steel nuts was each time I thermally cycled the nut/stud, lesser and lesser heat would make it into the stud. First time, both orange. After a few times, orange nut and not glowing stud - at this point, the nut is "ripe to harvest."

Thanks
    Tom

pitman likes this.

5. MrCreosote

MrCreosote
    from USA

Maybe if lucky! I have pulled nut threads in the distant past. Worst case the nut brazes itself to the stud.

Problem is that the nuts are high up the side of the engine and the exhaust pipe takes up a lot of the limited space between the frame and oil pan/block. Will probably use an 18" extension to put a socket on the nuts. Any screwup needing close work to fix will be a disaster.

The studs do not stick out past the nuts so if I would need to run a die over the studs, the exhaust pipe would have to be removed. I don't want to get that involved since that task is for the exhaust shop.

I'm just trying to eliminate the phone call: "Hey one of your studs broke, what do you want us to do?"

6. Rehpotsirhcj

Rehpotsirhcj
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Maybe I’m missing something…could you save the heat and just split the nuts?
    661AC1C2-AD96-4B05-A1AB-8A9B0338A4D6.jpeg

The Shift Wizard likes this.
  7. MrCreosote

MrCreosote
    from USA

Impossible to use a tool since no side space. The nuts are basically at the bottom of a small diameter (4") deep (18") hole.
    Further, being a twin pipe, 3-bolt flange, it would be impossible to get such a tool on the "middle" stud.

Now if someone made a nut splitter that went on axially like a deep well socket, that would work like gangbusters on exhaust pipe flange nuts.

8. MrCreosote

MrCreosote
    from USA

Although this does me no good, check out this unique product:

[​IMG]

reagen, 40ragtopdown, SS327 and 9 others like this.
  9. brading

brading

Above someone has thought out of the box and come up with a simply and effective idea.

reagen, jimmy six and alanp561 like this.
  10. There was no threads left in the nut that was not usable. All the studs were in good condition. I did run a thread chaser on the studs though, just to be sure things would go back together nicely.

11. MrCreosote

MrCreosote
    from USA

Yes, that is what I remember back in the 70's. I could imagine rust crystals forming and wedging/gripping the brass threads to the point where the brass did have the tensile strength to pull free.

I think induction heating the stud may work better on brass - hot stud & "cold" brass may yield the brass in tension making it bigger which would be very good for removal.

12. alchemy

alchemy

I don't understand heating the stud. You don't want the stud to expand, you want the nut to expand. Try heating the nut and turning it while it's hot.

If you can get in there with a wire brush to remove any rust, I'd definitely try that first.

427 sleeper, reagen and Moriarity like this.
  13. Years ago I worked on fleet vehicles that were bad for manifold leaks. Whenever we replaced a manifold we used brass nuts on the studs. If we needed to remove them again, it just took a little heat on the nut – not the stud – and the nuts expanded to the point they could be removed easily.

427 sleeper and reagen like this.
  14. MrCreosote

MrCreosote
    from USA

My limited experience with brass nuts has been on heavily rusted studs for over 10 years. I live in the Rust Belt and road salt creates an especially evil form of rust.

INDUCTION HEAT STUD: If I can cause the stud to expand while the nut is cold, there will be increased interference between the stud and nut which should 1) break up the rust crystals and 2) hopefully, yield the nut to a larger "diameter" so there is now extra clearance between the nut and stud when cooled down.

Induction heating is a joy compared to torch when it comes to "collateral damage." I really want to focus on this method.​

HEAT NUT: The problem with old Studebaker brass nuts appeared to be that the threads would pull out of the heated nut due to it's reduced yield strength due to the heat. I'm not saying it won't work, but Rust Belt + Decades of rusting do not help.

TORCH ISSUES: There is a lot of stuff in the way that will melt/burn due to flame. This is compounded by the fact that a large nozzle produced the greatest thermal gradients and get the nut to expand before the nut can heat the stud by conduction. Again, there is a lot of stuff in the way that would need to be heat shielded.

NOTE: Coefficient of Thermal Expansion for yellow brass is 11.3 and steel is 9.4, so just heating nut and stud uniformly should cause rust crystal breaking. But again, flame issues.​

15. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Next time, use never seize. Never had a problem getting one off that had been on a while if I used it when first put on. But if you didn't put them on, never mind, it's not your fault.

reagen and Cosmo49 like this.
  16. MrCreosote

MrCreosote
    from USA

YES to NEVER SEEZ! I've used since 1970! I'm pissed, I'm 69 and just ran out of my pint of Nickel. So being the cheap skate I am, I'm trying Saf-T-Exe Nickel rated to 2600*, 8 oz shipped for something like $15. Super cheap, hope it works. Stuff is much "drier" than the NS. Permatex Nickel claim to not migrate, etc. when exposed to heat. I think the NS might slump a little under heat. This STE is so dry, I can't see it slumping. It is also almost black in color while NS was definitely gray/silver. The NS and Permatex was like twice what I paid for the STE.

When I drop off the truck and parts to the garage that's doing the exhaust fab, I'll include my new STE too. ....but if I successfully get the nuts off, they'll go back on with lots of STE so it might be no biggie if they don't use more.

17. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I guess I am the luckiest guy around when it come to brass nuts on the exhaust! I always just put a six point socket on them and they came off, kinda why they use brass nuts there. Some came off in good shape, some stripped the threads, but still came off! Steel nuts…. not so lucky there!

Bones

427 sleeper, SS327 and seb fontana like this.
  18. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

When I was in the muffler business years ago if they did not come right off we would melt them off with a torch, wire brush the stud and use new nuts. They are not that expensive.

427 sleeper and Boneyard51 like this.
  19. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

I would consider brass nuts as expendable items...if the threads strip out when removing them just buy some new replacements, they're cheap. The main thing is unlike steel nuts, since they're brass they won't rust onto the studs.

427 sleeper, Boneyard51 and Cosmo49 like this.
  20. MrCreosote

MrCreosote
    from USA

Melting the brass nuts off: how hard is it to not end up brazing some nut brass to the stud?

This brings up another question: where to get metric brass nuts? And then how to determine thread size before I take truck off the road to do this job? Looks like I need to purchase some brass nuts to have on hand if needed. Another little logistics issue.

EDIT, SOLVED: OEM stud 14064-E3000 crosses to a Dorman 03109 Stud and Brass Nut kit M8-1.25 x 38mm Of course it's for a pair and I have 3, so if I save one... O-Reilly's has them in stock so this might be the FINAL purchase of stuff for the job.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2021
  21. Boneyard51 likes this.
  22. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

23. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Penetrating oil and put a wrench to them!!!

24. MrCreosote

MrCreosote
    from USA

Found Dorman and a stud kit w/brass nuts for the precise OEM part number of my studs.
    Dorman 03109 - M8-1.25
    upload_2021-10-1_14-14-12.jpeg

Boneyard51 likes this.
  25. 1ton

1ton

Don't just try and run them off. Use some penetrant and tighten then loosen, tighten then loosen. Before you know it those nuts will happily squeak themselves right off.

Boneyard51 and pitman like this.
  26. reagen

reagen

Have your wife get your nuts off saying for a friend

27. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

I don’t need this right now, but damn that’s a good idea.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  28. MrCreosote

MrCreosote
    from USA

LESSON #1: Induction heating works on BRASS - ".... and any metal that conducts electricity" according to the web.

WHY do induction cooktops required magnetic pots?

I can get the brass nuts to Orange/Red which the stud is black. Then the nut heats the stud up until they are both Dull Red.

The fact that I can get the nut Orange and the stud black suggests the nut is indeed free of the stud. Which should mean the nut can be wrenched off.

It bothers me that the nut has twice the engagement of the short Dorman stud kits. All that engagement is just what you'd want to break a stud.

Boneyard51 likes this.